Are two Emperor 400 enough for a 125 planted aquarium ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafy0126

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey,

Just got on the mail two Emperor 400 for my 125 filtration, but is that enough filtration for a dirt planted aquarium i'm planning?

Your thoughts...

Hey,

Just got on the mail two Emperor 400 for my 125 filtration, but is that enough filtration for a dirt planted aquarium i'm planning?

Your thoughts...

Well, technically it is enough. Most places say you should have 4x or higher.

I have read that you can/should get filtration so the GPH is 10x your tank size.

So I have a 20 gal, and an Aqua Clear 50 which is 200gph.

So with the Emperors you're getting about 800gph, when if x10 you should have 1,250. With that size tank, really I think canister filters are your best bet.

However, that is more expensive, but you should look into it.

It also all depends on what kind of fish you have.

I am a newbie too, I just found this site, which can help you see how much filtration is needed depending on what fish you choose. :)

AqAdvisor - Intelligent Freshwater Tropical Fish Aquarium Stocking Calculator and Aquarium Tank/Filter Advisor

Yeah I being reading I think getting a canister to get some extra filtration on my tank.

Thx for the reply.

In my opinion filtration factoring should be like anything else that you are the one that decides how much is enough based on your stocklist and their biomass along with how much surface area you have to colonize with, plant compensation and amount of water circulation/ aeration you have and how much effort you're ok with putting in each day/ week/ month. That being said- I have a 50g with a stocklist that consists of more fish per gallon than would take to fill a 60g and then some (in the middle of my final growth upgrading/ separating) but my tank is fully planted and fully layered- should be my profile pic- plus I'm running an ac110, whisper 40i, 3 fluval U3s and a fluval nano, but then I have my coldwater tank up and running perfect on 2 magnum 350 canisters and a penguin power filter and it's a 90g, I would say start with twice the filtration needed and work your way up from there. Same with your stocking, start with your smallest species and don't add more than 5 at one time and wait a week for your tank to balance before adding more... Hope this helps!!

I went to a local they said two Emperors where enough, however thinking that I want to dirt this tank, i'll go with extra filtration. I'm looking for a good canister right now.

I went to a local they said two Emperors where enough, however thinking that I want to dirt this tank, i'll go with extra filtration. I'm looking for a good canister right now.

Even being new to the hobby, if you have read many articles online, you will quickly find out most stores staff are ignorant and/or incompetent and you know much more than them.

Especially at petsmart/ petco but also at lfs.

Don't trust anything they say haha, do your own research! :)

Lol yeah! is an going on project, that's why i'm doing my research now...

Back
Top Bottom