ARGH- What's going on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoWooD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there any possible way to keep a group of sharks with caution? I've read that plenty of decor must be provided but I'm not sure. Right now its shark haven in my tank. I've got 1 RTS who's causing all the problems. Then I have an albino RTS, and two Rainbow sharks who are getting harassed. Thankfully all it is chasing. I think the albino was nipped once.

How about three RTS? Could that work with caution?

AND what about gouramis? I've got 2 gold gouramis that chase like theres no tomorrow. I thought it was best to keep them in pairs? What's wrong with these two? They also chase my zebra loaches sometime, I think its because there of similiar color but I'm not sure.

Any comments, suggestions or answers are appreciated.
Thanks,
-Joe

How big is the Tank? Everything I have seen says only keep 1 shark per tank. As for Gouramis, you should try and ID thier Sex. If you have 2 males that is a less compatable pair than a M/F pair. More likely a M/F/F trio is even better.

I've got 1 RTS who's causing all the problems. Then I have an albino RTS, and two Rainbow sharks who are getting harassed. Thankfully all it is chasing. I think the albino was nipped once.

How about three RTS? Could that work with caution?

The general rule with RTS is one per tank, or 6 or more. And...unless you have a rather large tank 6 RTS isn't plausible. I would return all but one of the sharks if I were you. That is probably the only way you will resolve the problem.
AND what about gouramis? I've got 2 gold gouramis that chase like theres no tomorrow. I thought it was best to keep them in pairs? What's wrong with these two? They also chase my zebra loaches sometime, I think its because there of similiar color but I'm not sure.

Same thing with gouramis. One per tank, unless you have a large tank. They should always be solitary, unless you can get a male/female pair. With 2 males, there will be definite fighting(unless you have wimpy, non-territorial males :wink: ) Return one of them, and you will see the agression dissipate.

Good luck. 8)

My male dwarf blue gourami killed one of its female counterparts. So now its alone in there, and the red phantoms are chasing it around.

Another thing to think about with sharks, is you need space, and lots of hiding places. Also, if you want to have more than 1 shark, you need to get a school of only 1 type, say 8 or 10. And only have them in the tank with maybe a couple algae eaters. If you are wanting to have different sharks, then separate tanks is the way to go, have 1 with red tails, one with rainbows, and 1 for albinos. Not too sure if you could mix the rainbows with the albino rainbows, haven't read anything on it. I had my sharks together for a while, with minimal harrassing, but again, I got tons of hiding places. I had my bala, rainbow, albino, and red tail together with other fish with no problems. I got a bunch of driftwood, java moss, rock caves, and a hollow log. But now my red tail is on it's own in a 20G tank, but the rainbows and bala are still together. The bala is the mellowest of them all, the rainbow is semi-agressive, and the albino just keeps to himself.

I think my rainbow is probably the coolest, he goes wherever he wants, does anything he wants. What a character. About the only fish he bothers most is the CAE's when they get too close to his hollow log.

Back
Top Bottom