As rare as it gets!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Reefality

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
We have two of these beauties at the store I work at in Illinois SeaSchore, can anyone identify this treasure?!

Attachments

• image-2891931728.jpg
    image-2891931728.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 146
Correct tony! Absolutely one of the most amazing fish I've ever seen with my own two eyes! We have two of them they are about the size of dinner plates!

There are related species that are very similar, yet much easier to come by. Juvenile Pristigenys alta often turn up in shallow waters along the east coast of the US (as far north as Maine) during the summer months.

Tony

We have two of these beauties at the store I work at in Illinois SeaSchore, can anyone identify this treasure?!

It's a member of the squirrel family and is commonly called a " Short Bigeye". I've sold many over the years :brows: Typically found in deep water but the juveniles are found in shallow water.
There are many members in the Big eye family around the world but the short Big Eye is an Atlantic specie. As a kid, I used to collect these around the jetties of New Jersey in the summertime.

It is a nocturnal fish so make sure you have some hiding spots for them to let them get out of the bright store lights. ;)

Hope this helps...(y)

Last edited:
Nice information Andy, but it is not closely related to squirrel fishes (order Beryciformes, family Holocentridae), though there is a definite superficial resemblance. Bigeyes belong to the family Priacanthidae (order Perciformes). There are four genera and about 20 species distributed throughout tropical and subtropical parts of the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific oceans.

Tony

Nice information Andy, but it is not closely related to squirrel fishes (order Beryciformes, family Holocentridae), though there is a definite superficial resemblance. Bigeyes belong to the family Priacanthidae (order Perciformes). There are four genera and about 20 species distributed throughout tropical and subtropical parts of the Atlantic, Indian and Pacific oceans.

Tony

Nice catch Tony, ;) I see I was mixing two conversations I was having at the same time. (That happens when you've been around too many bubbles as I have :lol:) At least I got the name right (y)
We used to get ours, mixed in shipments mostly, with our black barred soldiers, which ARE members of the squirrelfish family (unless they have been reclassified in the last decade. LOL :lol:)

Thanks for the correction (at least SOMEONE is on the ball) and feel free to correct me anytime you see a mistake (y)

Back
Top Bottom