Astrophotography: Deep Sky Objects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes - it is a major problem and limits our overall exposure time on sub exposures. We can combat it on some types of objects by using a light pollution filter in our optical train but generally we don't use it as a rule. Without it we can expose a sub frame for about 10 minutes before the LP is an issue. Of course if the scope is pointed more SE towards Chicago, it might be further limited. The image above of the Pleiades which I took last night is pretty low in the eastern sky for us right now so my sub exposures were limited to 6 minutes each. The shorter exposure time probably resulted in less visible reflection nebulae in the image but that is always the trade.

If you are interested about our setup, hardware, and software, there is a write up about it on our website - http://www.claustonberryobservatory.com

Hmm, i'll check it out! So are these pictures taken at an observatory, or at your house? Is the equipment hard to find?

It is both. We built our own observatory. The equipment is readily available.

Cocoon Nebula (IC5146)
IC5146.jpg

Double Cluster in Perseus (NGC884 & NGC 869)
NGC884_869-.jpg

IC59/IC63: Gamma Cas Nebula
IC59.jpg

Clouds have really been jammin us up, but finally got a break in the weather tonight. Here was tonight's target, NGC7000: The North America Nebula

NGC7000.jpg

Here's a cool one from last night... the Horsehead and Flame Nebulae...

IC434.jpg

Thanks Mike!

Here is one from last night, the Great Nebula in Orion:

m42a.jpg

Not as exciting as the last one, but here is the one from tonight: An open cluster in Auriga, Messier Object #38:

M38.jpg

Finally was able to get out last night. It has been cloudy for two months!

Rosette nebula

NGC2244.jpg

That's really cool! You take some really great pictures.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks. I was very pleased with this one. The cold temps outside are hell on the electronics but really go a long way in reducing thermal noise for 8+ minute exposures.

Nah too easy ;)

Actually not really setup for that. Moon and solar system photography is very different from the requirements for deep space objects.

Wow these pictures are beautiful! I went to the country for a few days, wow is it a change from the city! You could see so many stars it was beautiful! I wish I had a camera like yours, my phone can't see the stars, it just gets black pictures.

Absolutely amazing.. Even more spectacular that the camera used for some was a canon 1100d (T3 for the U.S.) The old pictures at least..
A while back I looked at purchasing the 60D-A, made solely for astrophotography, but then I figure the use for macros on my tanks or family portraits wouldn't be there. I just went with the 700d (T5I)..

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398379150.002455.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398379171.123123.jpg

Thanks all. Here are a couple new ones... M101 the Pinwheel Galaxy and M51 the Whirlpool galaxy.

These are the first two pics with the new SBIG mono CCD camera which is made for astrophotography. This represents a pretty significant upgrade in equipment. Also have a new imaging scope.

The 60Da you mentioned is a great camera. If interested you can modify your own camera to be even better than the 60Da for astrophotography. You can remove the internal IR cut filter and just use an external filter for regular everyday use so you have the best of both worlds (at least when it comes to DSLR astrophotography). Search for Gary Honis's website if interested. He has step by step instructions for modification.

Back
Top Bottom