Astrophotography: Deep Sky Objects

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
fort384; said:
The 60Da you mentioned is a great camera. If interested you can modify your own camera to be even better than the 60Da for astrophotography. You can remove the internal IR cut filter and just use an external filter for regular everyday use so you have the best of both worlds (at least when it comes to DSLR astrophotography). Search for Gary Honis's website if interested. He has step by step instructions for modification.

Thanks! I'll definitely look into that site. That's an interesting idea.

Well got clouded out last night but did get a cool (non-space) photo of the rig since the 1100d is no longer required to be attached to the scope.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1398553135.995671.jpg

A few more images from the past couple of months:

Sharpless 2-86: Emission Nebula
NGC6820Ha.jpg

NGC 7635: Bubble Nebula
NGC7635.jpg

IC 1396: Elephant's Trunk Nebula
IC1396r-e1400951206925.jpg

M81 & M82: Bode's and Cigar Galaxies
M81a.jpg

M64: Black Eye Galaxy
M64.jpg

Your pictures are amazing :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Wow beautiful pictures! I never see anything like that since I live in the city.

You'd never see it from anywhere on Earth without some good optics and a camera :).

Yes that too. I don't see anything but street lamps at night here ;) Those pictures are absolutely beautiful I just can't believe how amazing they are

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

So beautiful! Neblulas are just stunning.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Another new one: The Crescent Nebula in Cygnus. This was a tough target - very faint nebula...

NGC6888.jpg

Thanks to you both! A lot of effort in those images and am happy to share them.

This thread is amazing!

Off topic, (but this is an off topic section) but does anyone here believe in life outside of our solar system?

I think that it is almost a certainty when you look at the scale of the universe (that we know of -- we can only observe part of it).

I used to use a Canon 1100D which is the same camera I use on macrophotography. However, I now use a thermoelectrically cooled mono CCD camera with a filter wheel... image in 4 channels (red, green, blue, luminescence) and then combine the mono images to achieve a true color image. Mono CCD cameras are far more sensitive to light since they lack a debayering layer... in other words, it doesn't matter what color the light is - the pixel on the mono ccd chip just registers, was there light or no?

Finally had a clear night where I was able to get out. Here is a new capture of M33, the Triangulum Galaxy.

M33a.jpg

Finally had a clear night where I was able to get out. Here is a new capture of M33, the Triangulum Galaxy.

M33a.jpg

Beautiful!

Here on the east coast we are going to get warm, almost cloudless weather for 10 days straight. If that carries over to where you are I'm guessing that will make for some good pictures?

Weather generally moves to East :)

The best conditions are dry, stable air, and as cold as possible... this time of year can be good for imaging as the night time temperatures start dropping it makes the thermo electric cooling on the camera perform that much better. This image was taken with the camera set to -30 Celsius.

Back
Top Bottom