"At least a 55 gallon"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kimberly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was at Petsmart today getting crickets for my firebelly toads. As I wait for the person to count out my crickets I look at the nearby fish and I see that they have albino channel cats and that they are listed to get to 27" long. I ask "Out of curiousity, how big of a tank do you need for a fish that gets to be 27" long?" The answer: "at least a 55 gallon b/c it is 4 feet long." I said "Yes, but it is only 12 inches wide!?" No good response other than "bigger than 55 is better". Poor channel cat that ends up in a 55 gallon. :( If it survived it wouldn't even be able to turn around.

Unfortunately, this seems to be the latest "rage". I don't know if you've heard of this particular chain, but Petland Discounts here in NYC did the same thing. I guess after numerous customers berated the employees about it, Management decided it wasn't a good idea as I haven't seen any in a few months. I guess yelling really loud will get some attention.

I had an albino channel cat in a 55. It took exactly 11 months to grow from 1 " to 12" and at that point I donated to a store with a 1000 gallon aquarium. Channel cats are really cool and have a lot of personality but I would say that about 1000 gallons is the minimum a full grown channel cat could be in.

A 55 would do nicely, until it was 12-15" long. At that point, I prefer a cast iron skillet, corn meal, and hot grease.

(hey, this *is* a channel cat we're talkin about)

those things are darn tasty. I catch them up here at about 2' long. As far as keeping them in a 55 thats just wrong. If you are going to be solely responsible for the care of an animal make sure you care for it well.

Kimberly,
a good formula to use for minimum tank size is to take the max adult size of the fish, say 12"/1' and then figure tank dimensions as Lengthx6, Widthx1.5, Heightx1.5...
That is to say you'd need a tank 6'x1.5'x1.5' or a 100gal tank.
LxWxHX7.47=gallons
Alot also depends on the particular species needs, e.g. swimming style, a adult Bala Shark max's at up to 14", prefers schools, is skittish and is a very fast swimmer who ideally needs a longer than average tank in which to swim somewhat normally. So I'd calculate Lx8, Wx1.5 & Hx1.5 which equals aprox 150gals, but there are no standard tanks with those dimensions and a 150gal would be too small for a average 5 fish school, so more likely you'd want a 8'x2'x2' or 240-250gal tank.

Back
Top Bottom