At Long Last.... Sydney's Rimless Tank Build!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I added floramax to my tank today cause I couldn't find ecocomplete locally.

Anyways I think it would look get if you put some red in there like AR, tiger lotus or rotala macrandra.:)

I added floramax to my tank today cause I couldn't find ecocomplete locally.

Anyways I think it would look get if you put some red in there like AR, tiger lotus or rotala macrandra.:)

Floramax is pretty good too :)

I will have two different red plants in there, AR Mini, and Ludwigia SP Red. I love Rotala Macrandra, but it needs high light, and seems touchy.

I was just reading through your 17g thread from the beginning and was reading how touchy the R. Macrandra is. Doesn't sound like a good plant for me just yet.

Wondering if I should add fish or shrimp first? Kinda thinking shrimp... That way I can let the colony grow (will only be getting 5 or so since they are $4 a pop, adds up quickly. Lol. Are there any other shrimp species I could keep/breed in tap water? Will add an amano shrimp from my other tank as well.

I was just reading through your 17g thread from the beginning and was reading how touchy the R. Macrandra is. Doesn't sound like a good plant for me just yet.

Wondering if I should add fish or shrimp first? Kinda thinking shrimp... That way I can let the colony grow (will only be getting 5 or so since they are $4 a pop, adds up quickly. Lol. Are there any other shrimp species I could keep/breed in tap water? Will add an amano shrimp from my other tank as well.
I had some Macrandra growing in my 20 long a long time ago- it had a T5HO on it with no co2 or ferts dosed other than root tabs. It seemed to do ok. It could be possible that it was incorrectly labelled.

I had some Macrandra growing in my 20 long a long time ago- it had a T5HO on it with no co2 or ferts dosed other than root tabs. It seemed to do ok. It could be possible that it was incorrectly labelled.

Interesting.. Maybe just one of those things?

It's definitely one of those things. I have seen people do it without co2, and then they later add co2 and the plant does worse. Most likely due to inadequate co2, but none the less. Co2 has to be optimal to grow it. I have my co2 blasting through a hydor pico evo pump right at it and that's the only way I get optimal growth. Every other plant I've ver tried I've had no issue with, except for this one.

What are your guys' thoughts on adding fish first then shrimp, or shrimp first, then fish? Leaning towards the second option.

A terrarium in a light bulb I made today. Will sit next to the rimless to share light :)
Looks pretty cool, I think. And yeah, I got owls ;)

Attachments

• image-2953939583.jpg
    image-2953939583.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 66
  • image-3211296725.jpg
    image-3211296725.jpg
    140 KB · Views: 61
  • image-1930799533.jpg
    image-1930799533.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2403349686.jpg
    image-2403349686.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3320670133.jpg
    image-3320670133.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 75
Oh! Forgot to say. Eco shipped today! Phosphate test kit has not but I don't need that to start the tank.... :)

Tracking info just came in on the Eco and its supposed to be here by Friday the 3rd. :/ Later than I was hoping, hopefully it gets here earlier! It's coming via ups and is in California right now. What do I do if the plants get here before the substrate?

Tracking info just came in on the Eco and its supposed to be here by Friday the 3rd. :/ Later than I was hoping, hopefully it gets here earlier! It's coming via ups and is in California right now. What do I do if the plants get here before the substrate?

Float them in another tank or plant them in some dirt for the time being

Back
Top Bottom