Attempt at moss wall

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

F.Sam

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i decided a while ago to do a moss wall in my 5g. I hope this idea won't be short-lived.
So basically I wedged some x-mass moss in between two sheets of plastic.
I'm hoping this will work out and I'll try to keep you guys updated (bear with me). Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm dosing macro (KNO3, KH2PO4, MGSO4), micro (CSM+B) and glut (easycarbo).
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424195416.197991.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424195442.697121.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424195469.745705.jpg
Right now I feel like I ****ed my tank up. This thing is hideous :D

Sent per three-eyed raven..

I've never tried but I've heard it's faster to use fishing line and "sew" the moss to the front of a single piece so that it has more light exposure and much faster results.

Also is that plant sort of in the middle mondo grass? I got duped into that and it isn't aquatic unfortunately.

I love my fish!!!

That is the way a lot of people make moss walls. You can also just use one sheet of plastic canvas and glue the moss on with crazy glue. You can also sew it. I never had any luck with either way. I tried every trick I could find but it just would not grow. May try again now that I am using higher light.

Yes I know that it grows much quicker that way. I'm just not a handy man when it comes to those things. Yes it is mondo grass unfortunately, but i'm just keeping it in until it really starts to melt.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424198504.156245.jpg

I know this is Riccia but this is a good representation. Just tied to the front and it will attach itself and spread.

I'm thinking about trying this now actually, sounds like a good project :)

I love my fish!!!

Just do it Alex! Let's compare our result in a month ;) . Haha but on a more serious note, I did not enjoy this project. The knitting of the two panels made my fingers dizzy :D Hope you'll have more fun with just one canvas!

I spy with my little eye: a small progress in moss growth!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424710825.492581.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424715704.123816.jpg
I also lay this small piece on my driftwood three weeks ago (not tied or anything). It hasn't come off during water changes. It's going like crazy. All the light-green is new growth :)

Are you the one I've seen talking about all of that complicated fert dosing?
Seems like it's doing its job well!!!
My moss grows quite a bit slower, also what type is it? I have Java.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424716067.241850.jpg

I love my fish!!!

I wouldn't call it complicated, it just needs some research. But yes it does it's job really well so far! I literally have echinodorus runners all over my 5g cube! And my anubias have been more of a fast than slow grower lately :p
It's Xmas-moss, quite fell in love with it! I like your archway!

Is that a dwarf gourami I spot there? :)

Thank you! Yeah I have 2 :) she spotted me taking a picture and had to come say hi.

I'm gonna do some research on it and see if I could keep it up. Is it called EI dosing?

I love my fish!!!

Yeah EI (Estimative index) ;)

That X-mass Moss looks great! I have some I tied to rocks and wood a couple of weeks ago. But doesn't look as good as yours yet. How long did the piece on the wood take to start showing obvious growth!

Here are mine when first placed. It's the first time I every tied a plant so I totally overdid the fishing line - but hopefully it'll get covered soon.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424730912.601035.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424730930.226976.jpg

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

Well i lay it on that spot like three weeks ago. And 2 weeks ago I started seeing these small green spots on the edges!
What do you dose? It is said that mosses are real nitrate hogs!

Haven't dosed much at all because I've been doing lots (one or more a day) of PWCs due to a half fishless, half fish-in cycling. I figured it was a waste of ferts and CO2 for the moment.

There's brand new EC in there plus plenty of Osmocote Plus granules.....

D-uh! (On me!) those feed roots, not the water column. No wonder my moss isn't growing!

I have light bulbs rated 5000k and the lights are on for two four-hour cycles every day. I read somewhere that having a "rest period" during the day strengthen the plants, that's why my timer is set for two photosynthesis periods.

~ Sent via Carrier Goldfish

I'm gonna follow this because I've been wanting to start a moss wall too.
Christmas moss isn't being carried locally here, I've been watching for it for a few projects. Does anyone have suggestions for a good place to buy it online?

I was looking at craigslist just for kicks and giggles, and I discovered that lots of locals sell aquarium plants very inexpensively. I'm going to be checking them out next week.

Keeping my sleeves wet...
Sent via Carrier Goldfish

I would be happy to send some, if it ever gets to that point :D

Back
Top Bottom