Attention Plant Shipping!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chard56

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently recieved two different packages of plants in the mail over the last few weeks. These people were kind enough to send them at no charge for the plants and only the shipping fee. When I told the first one that it looked like someone threw up their salad in a baggie of water I never heard back from them. The second one, even after reassuring me they would send the plants per my instructions was only 4 ounces of salad puke instead of 10 like the first one. Let me reiterate and say again. DO NOT ship plants in WATER. Plants are to be shipped in moist paper towels ONLY!!! Plants shipped in water will only result in a bag of mush or salad puke. I've only wasted $12 and change but learned not to buy plants from individuals that don't pay attention to shipping details. Now I'm going to the shipping section to make sure they are correct or that there even is one on plants.

I don't see anything on shipping plants so just use my advice and send in moist paper towels and stop wasting peoples time and money.

I recently recieved two different packages of plants in the mail over the last few weeks. These people were kind enough to send them at no charge for the plants and only the shipping fee. When I told the first one that it looked like someone threw up their salad in a baggie of water I never heard back from them. The second one, even after reassuring me they would send the plants per my instructions was only 4 ounces of salad puke instead of 10 like the first one. Let me reiterate and say again. DO NOT ship plants in WATER. Plants are to be shipped in moist paper towels ONLY!!! Plants shipped in water will only result in a bag of mush or salad puke. I've only wasted $12 and change but learned not to buy plants from individuals that don't pay attention to shipping details. Now I'm going to the shipping section to make sure they are correct or that there even is one on plants.

Well this is rude considering they were trying to do you a favor

While plants are supposed to be shipped in a moist bag or in a bag with moist paper towels, and not in a bag of water, they were free, so really, you can't complain.

I have to agree with the OP. They weren't technically free since postage was paid, but still. It's definitely frustrating whether the person paid for the items or not.

I don't really agree with the water thing. I don't use paper towels at all in the plants that I ship. I don't think having a large amount of water is good (i.e. sloshing around something fierce), but the water itself is not going to hurt the plant. If the water in the bag gets hot enough to cook the plant then the plant would get cooked either way, it's not like the plant in damp paper towels isn't holding in water as well.

I've seen some people posting arguments about shipping plants with water but I've yet to get a clear explanation as to why this is such a big no-no.

I think the bigger issue is the heat. People send plants via first class or small flat rate with no insulation to amount to anything, package sits in a mailbox for an hour in the sun and it's toast.

I've never had a problem with plants in water either. The water actually protects the plants against dramatic temperature changes.

There is a really good shopper on here that always sends his plants in water n I know a lot of people buy from him n his plants are probably the nicest you will see!

All plants I've ever recieved were shipped in moist paper towels only. Maybe the ones you get in water don't have to go through my postal workers and are a sturdier plant. I wasn't being rude and only wanted them to learn from this experience so the next person could get theirs delivered alive and in one piece. Paying it forward isn't just an attempt unless you follow through.

I didn't take it as rude here, no worries. I've shipped thousands of plants and I've come to the conclusion that it's the heat causing the issue more so than the packaging method. This always pops up in the summer time.

Back
Top Bottom