Baby Kribensis!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big-j

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well it took several months and one failed hatching but my kribensis pair finally bred. I have about 80 little fry in the free swimming stage at this point and they are swimming around following mom and dad. Here's a pic of mom and dad

Attachments

• image-1841516056.jpg
    image-1841516056.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 122
Beautiful pair.

Good luck with your new fry.

Congrats! Did they dig at all? Just wondering as I have some in a gravel bottom tank which isn't thick, and I've read a lot that they like to dig a home under rocks etc. I thought id ask if yours has conformed to this, as in the pic they don't seem to have dug a hole? I'm hoping mine will lay without digging.

I have PFS in mine and they dig like crazy lol the whole tank has been refurbished by my own little destruction crew

Lol, i bet you get home and all sorts has gone on. Thinking then maybe they won't lay without a little digging. Maybe a substrate change if I want them to lay.

I'd check that out for sure, get rocks and stumps and stuff for them to hide the babies in and under as well

They have places to hide and a few caves but I might add more just to add options for them. Congrats again if you can get pics of the fry don't forget to post!!

Well the babies are growing and disappearing lol, we only have around 20 left but they swimming fairly actively, when could I remove them to a new tank and it be safe?

Down to eleven babies but they are achieving some size and even beginning to show coloration an patterns, still too small to take a good picture but I'll give it a try later

Big-j said:
Well it took several months and one failed hatching but my kribensis pair finally bred. I have about 80 little fry in the free swimming stage at this point and they are swimming around following mom and dad. Here's a pic of mom and dad

Stunning fish!

Thanks, they have great color and paired really well, the male chased the female away from his turf for like a month or so, then one day they started swimming together and now we have babies

Ok guys the babies are about getting close to half an inch long or so and have definable markings and some coloration, they swim freely and eat algae willingly from all over the tank, is it safe for me to clean the tank at this point? I have some serious algae growth, which the babies and parents are eating but it is terribly unsightly

I have krib fry in one of my breeding tanks and I cleaned them out this weekend, my fry are around 2-2 1/2 weeks old and they are all fine.

Heres some pictures of the babies!!

Attachments

• image-2107518899.jpg
    image-2107518899.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 55
  • image-477568341.jpg
    image-477568341.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 57
Babies are still growing fast, lots of color and markings, they are even pecking at the sinking shrimp pellets I feed their parents now, very active but only 7-8 left that I can see

Her color is gorgeous, she is always very vibrant, I've seen some kribs have a grayed out look to them but my two are always very colorful, the male is Mufasa, and the females name is Serahbi, off of lion king lol, after all they are African Cichlids ;)

Back
Top Bottom