Background?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
For those of you who has a background, did you paint it or tape one of those background sheets to the back?

Paint! Paint! My opinion is that its the easiest, cheapest, and best looking solution. Krylon Fusion is what I used.

I got the background from the LFS, then I smeared vaseline all over the front on it. I stuck it on the back, and used rubber blade (used for tinting windows) to work out all of the bubbles. It looks great. before I did this, I just had the background taped on, and it wasn't bright enough. But after the vaseline the background looks good.

paint.
I tried teh vaseline thing, and it only held for a week. maybe I used too little vaseline...but damn if paint isn't just easier.

I thought about paint, but my tank was already setup, so I don't think it would have been any easier for me. My next tank will be painted before I fill it.

I would probibly paint it. If I had to do it over thats what I would have done. I have my background taped on with electrical tape right now. It Looks fine but is wrinkled a bit in places. It took several attempts and several sheets for me to get it looking good.

My background is called "deep sea" its a gradient from light blue to dark blue. Looks very nice and I doubt I would have easily gotten the subtle gradient with paint.

PAINT !
wholetank.jpg

Is it difficult to get a smooth finish when painting? Im a bit cautious about painting the tank. :(

As for the not as bright comment, I prefer a dark blue background...

its almost impossible to get a bad finish when painting glass. I used speckle paint in order to get an irregular finish.

I used the dark blue background and held it on with clear packing tape. I do not have it smoothed to the glass so it just looks dark and doesn't detract from the rest of the view one way or the other.

I used a foam brush and made 3 coats of paint...... looks great... Next time I will use colbalt blue paint instead of black.... May try to mix in some baby blue shades with a spounge to get a different look. Best thing..... if you dont like it you can just scrape it off and do it again........

Thanks, that was my summer project this year. One of these days I'll get around to posting my pics from the whole build process. I still need to make a hood too.

My tank is already set up - so painting the tank would be difficult. I have a taped on background right now - hate it - looks terrible. Tomorrow I am going to get a sheet of plexi and some Krylon fusion. I am going to paint the plexi and then try using silicone glue to stick it to the back of the tank.

So if I mess up, all it takes is a razor to scrape the paint off?

Also, is Krylon Fusion the paint to use?

I love the Fusion, because it bonds well to glass. But from what I'm hearing here, sounds like a lot of things work well. Plus the fusion happens to have a very natural looking blue color.

Now, I didn't try to remove any of it though. I did mess up a couple of places, kind of, but as long as you fill in all of the space it looks fine from the front.

A couple of years ago I had painted the back of another smaller tank with a roller, that didn't look nearly as good. I also think the paint I used was a problem, but I believe spraying is definetly the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom