Bacteria or Fungus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCarnes

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 55 gallon planted aquarium that completed a fishless cycle and has now had fish in it for a month. About a week ago I noticed one priscillia tetra with a slightly bulging eye and red on his gills that looked like blood but was under the skin.

The next day one of my scissortail rasboras was dead - no physical issues I could find and the fish had eaten the night before. Then I found a neon tetra the next day, then a priscillia tetra (not the one that looks sick). Then I lost three cory cats. I was told it was probably bacterial so I started treating with Melafix five days ago (but then the fish really started dying).

Yesterday I started treating with Erithymicin powder from API. One of the catfish I found dead tonight had red open sores on her side and white fluffy looking fungus stuff covering the areas.

So now I am wondering if it is a fungus thing and if I am once again treating with the wrong thing.

I am pretty much limited to API medications since that is what Petsmart carries, unfortunately I dont have a lfs.

P.S. I also added a uv sterilizer rated for a 75 gallon aquarium 4 days ago when this all started.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have a 55 gallon planted aquarium that completed a fishless cycle and has now had fish in it for a month. About a week ago I noticed one priscillia tetra with a slightly bulging eye and red on his gills that looked like blood but was under the skin.

The next day one of my scissortail rasboras was dead - no physical issues I could find and the fish had eaten the night before. Then I found a neon tetra the next day, then a priscillia tetra (not the one that looks sick). Then I lost three cory cats. I was told it was probably bacterial so I started treating with Melafix five days ago (but then the fish really started dying).

Yesterday I started treating with Erithymicin powder from API. One of the catfish I found dead tonight had red open sores on her side and white fluffy looking fungus stuff covering the areas.

So now I am wondering if it is a fungus thing and if I am once again treating with the wrong thing.

I am pretty much limited to API medications since that is what Petsmart carries, unfortunately I dont have a lfs.

P.S. I also added a uv sterilizer rated for a 75 gallon aquarium 4 days ago when this all started.

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

It sounds bacterial on speed and symptoms plus secondary fungus.

The uv unit may help if good quality.

What are your other water specs like for ph, ammonia, etc and water change schedule? Just to knock off.

Melafix can be hit and miss and more for light infections.

Ammonia and nitrite are 0, nitrates are 5 and ph is 7.6. I usually do a 30% water change once a week.

I completed an 80% water change when I changed medications this week.

The erythromycin looks worth a try. Says for fin and tail rot, pop eye. For gram positive, some gram negative and fungus.

Was there any change before the fish started dropping off the perch - temp increase, new plants, larger than normal water change, etc?

Specs look good.

No larger than normal water changes. I did add some new plants! But i bought them from Peabody's Paradise which I have done before and have never had issues. I also added two German Blue Rams about a week before all of this started, but they are still thriving (brightly colored and eating like hogs).

Plants should be ok.

It's pretty late here and I'm wondering if it may be columnaris. I'll send some links from the desktop. It can show up in clean tanks but an outbreak is usually triggered by something - in my case a temp spike from sudden hot weather.

My cory cats are still dropping like flies (I have lost 5 of the 6) and I dont expect the other one to make it either. No deaths in the other fish though for 36 hours so hopefully the medication and uv light are helping. Everyone is eating so keeping my fingers crossed that the worst is over.

Sounds like you may have brought home a sick fish, this is why qt is so important. I put a sick one in my 20 months ago and I'm still having issues..

Back
Top Bottom