Bad day yesterday and learned a lesson

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefermadness52

Aquarium Advice Activist
On Saturday June 29, 2013 after a 50% water change we lost three fish. The Red Tailed Shark, Clown Loach, and one of the two Jewel Cichlids.

The reason for the losses was that I forgot to plug back into the power strip both canister filters, the heater, and power head after the water change because I had become distracted before completing the task.

I plugged the equipment back into the power strip after being down for more than two hours, but a little while later three more fish were beginning to succumb. I didn't even need a net to fetch them out but was able to scoop them out with my hand because they were so lethargic.

Luckily I had a hospital tank setup and was treating two Acei Cichlids for fungal infections with Maracyn. I put the Yellow Lab, Common Yellow, and Bumblebee Cichlid into the hospital tank and a couple of hours later they were completely revived and once again swimming happily.

I will not make that mistake again and also will be adding a UPS battery back up system to at least one one of the two canister filters, the power heads, and heater.

Sorry for your losses a battery backup is a good idea for this instance and if your power goes out for an extended time period.

Thanks,that was tough for my wife and I to watch. We are both animal lovers and a battery backup will be insurance while we are away from the house. I already have battery backup supplies on my big reef tank.

Sorry for your loss. This sounds odd after only two hours without power. Water companies have been known to over chlorinate without warning at times, could this have added to the problem?

This stinks. My heater superheated my water on Friday and I lost 7 fish. It's hard but we just need to regroup and press forward.

Very true... Sorry about your heater and your fish.... How does that even happen to a heater I wonder?

Sorry for your loss. This sounds odd after only two hours without power. Water companies have been known to over chlorinate without warning at times, could this have added to the problem?

I concur. In the last three days I have lost power twice for about 3 hours each and have not suffered a single loss. I do 33 % water changes once a week only. Check your chemistry. I did not feed them while power was out. Sorry for your loss.

As far as the heater issue. The thermostat sometimes gets stuck if you inadvertently leave it on while doing a water change. Being that the device is only partially submerged.

Yeah, I am. New to the freshwater Cichlid tanks. I think I am gonna cut my water changes back to 1/3 instead of 1/2 a week. Hmm... I did feed them while the stuff was unplugged, that may also contributed to the problem as you point out. Thanks...

Yeah, I am. New to the freshwater Cichlid tanks. I think I am gonna cut my water changes back to 1/3 instead of 1/2 a week. Hmm... I did feed them while the stuff was unplugged, that may also contributed to the problem as you point out. Thanks...

What species of cichlids do you have? Some cichlids will tear plants apart.

I don't have any plants at all.

My fish are:

3 Bumblebee
2 Electric Yellow
2 common Malawi yellow
3 common Malawi orange
4 Acei (blue w/ yellow)
1 Jewel Cichlid
1 E.B. Johanni
1 OB Peacock
1 Red dorsal Malawi LFS called common
1 Striped Malawi Petsmart called common
1 Peacock Petsmart called common

Very true... Sorry about your heater and your fish.... How does that even happen to a heater I wonder?

Sometimes heater thermostats go haywire and get stuck on or off. If it gets stuck on it will just cook your fish. I try to replace my heaters every three years or so. Ive had a heater get stuck on and my water temp was 96 and i lost all my fish. Sorry for your losses, glad you didnt lose them all!

Back
Top Bottom