Bala sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maddmann

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Anyone have experience with them? My questions are, how big will they get, and are the good in a community tank? I have a 55 gallon w/ 2 gourami, 6 tiger barbs, 3 mollies, 2 Chinese algae eaters and 1 small Senegal bichir( whom I'm looking for a new home). Do you think 2 balls would be fine in my tank?

Bala Sharks would grow too big for a 55gal. I usually hear 75+ as standard tank size for Balas. They are good community fish. They grow to around 14 inches. If you do get them, keep in mind they are VERY skitish. A couple of days ago mine died because my mom was trying to move him to another tank and he darted into the side of the tank and was dead the next day.

I wouldn't put balas in anything smaller than an 8' tank. They grow very very big. They also get quite ugly. Sure they look 'cute' when they're a couple inches in the store, but man do they sure change as they get older.

they also get stunted if not in larger tanks, and they need regular water changes to keep them at optimal health/growth. i have a rescue, currently maybe 6 inches, in a 55gallon...he is doin' much better, but needs a better home...anyone? (hint,hint,wink.) he likes to cruise back and forth all day, the red tail shark half his size chases him every now and then, but thet are pretty docile for sharks(bad rep?)

Agreed with the post above about them being VERY skittish. I had one freak out and smash into the intake tube on my filter. 2 days later it was dead. They are a schooling fish as well and won't feel comfortable unless in bigger numbers. Consider the fact that they can get over a foot long, very few people actually have the capability to properly care for them.

IMO, stay away from them.

Well thanks for the advice, I think I'll stay away from em, maby get a red tail or a rainbow instead :)

They're also serious jumpers. I came home one day and realized one was missing. After searching the tank for 5 minutes I looked behind and he had jumped out and was dead on the floor.

I had 2 for like a week and gave them away to someone else after I found out my tank wouldnt be big enough and that they didnt seem to do well either.

I thought they were very shy fish, very scared of everything and used to hide a lot so dont think they would do well in your tank because of the tiger barbs which are quite active and crazy and would probably annoy them plus the size thing.

Well, I guess that's what tops are for! Lol. On a more serious note, sorry about your fish Eco.

They do get to be 10-14" long, and do best in groups of at least 3. I was going to put them in a 125 gallon tank, until my LFS said they would do better in a 180 gal tank.

I disagree with the person that said they get really ugly. If they're well taken care of, and have the right atmosphere, they're adorable. :)

iguess i forgot to mention bala 'should'be kept in a small group ' but its hard... red tail are great but only when kept as the only shark. i know i have a bala and red-tail, they co-exist, at worst.... but multiple red tails will fight, but one is well suited for many tanks because they stay small.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder I suppose... But I think they're ugly when they're big;)

That's ok. I think full grown oscars are adorable, too, and most people I know think they're ugly as sin. :)

I'm really glad I found this site, you guys are soooo much more helpfull than the stores

They really are schoolers and aren't so skittish if you keep them in a large group, so I've heard, but who has the room. I agree they are very ugly when they get big. I have an albino rainbow shark and despite everything I hear everywhere about how aggresive they are, mine is totally gentle and trusted with even the smallest of fish and shrimps. If there is truth to how aggresive they are, you may want to get one from a store that allows returns (my lfs does not) just in case he beats up his tank mates. I've found them
territorial but not violent.

Goin back to the rainbow shark, I had 1 in my community tank and it pretty much ate everything that moved including my swordtails that were almost the same size as the shark, think they are quite terratorial especially if u add new fish to the rainbows tank

It is best to add your rainbow shark last if you can..but as time goes on if you are adding more fish and shark is getting territorial you can re-arrange your plants and decor and this will level the playing field and cause everyone to re-establish territories. My shark doesn't even notice anyone significantly smaller than him. He doesn't even chase platy fry or dwarf shrimp out of his territory, only bigger fishes and he never nips. He has also got calmer as he gets older...the opposite of what I've heard some others report. Again as I said, I think trying one from somewhere you could return it if need be is best :)

I had a top on the tank, the fish found a gap between the filter and lid... Thanks for the sympathy homedog, I think I've recovered, it was like 7 years ago :D

Back
Top Bottom