Balloon Rams (just got some)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AaronW

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone ever had some?? I just got 2. I'll be returning one as it doesn't look too healthy. But the other is happy and exploring.

Should I spot feed them? I'm not quite sure. They appear to be nibbling on the food that sinks to the bottom.

is my current stock with them ok?

60g 3 boesmani rainbow fish
3 congo tetras
2 clown loaches
1 pictus cat

It should be okay, but the pictus cat might eventually eat them depending on who large it is/gets.
I have regular German Rams, and they eat everything. Flakes, waffers, bloodworms, snails, etc. You'll just need to be very careful with your water quality; balloon rams are much more sensitive then other rams. The 'balloon' effect is caused by a shorter spine and 'defected' swim bladder. They were bred this way from genetic defects, so you'll need to be careful with them.

Good luck, hope you like them! :)

It should be okay, but the pictus cat might eventually eat them depending on who large it is/gets.
I have regular German Rams, and they eat everything. Flakes, waffers, bloodworms, snails, etc. You'll just need to be very careful with your water quality; balloon rams are much more sensitive then other rams. The 'balloon' effect is caused by a shorter spine and 'defected' swim bladder. They were bred this way from genetic defects, so you'll need to be careful with them.

Good luck, hope you like them! :)

Thanks! I'm gonna take one back because he doesn't look too healthy. I also noticed some ick on him so I'm getting him out asap and starting a treatment just in case. My fish have had it before and are very resistant to it so I'm gonna treat it now. Anyhow I'm heading back to the LFS

Made my way to the LFS. Got me a healthy looking ballonie his name is Phil. If its a she her name is still gonna be Phil haha

image-3219565631.jpg

Here is Phil acclimating

They are looking pretty healthy! Do you have pictures of both? I might be able to sex them for you.

Ha I'm trying they are really hard to take pics of. They're so shy and unpredictable at this point

Lil might be a female, hard to tell with Phil. Let them settle in, and try feeding them bloodworms. This will help coax them into their breeding colors, then it will be really easy to sex them.

Scottyhorse said:
Lil might be a female, hard to tell with Phil. Let them settle in, and try feeding them bloodworms. This will help coax them into their breeding colors, then it will be really easy to sex them.

Live bloodworms?

Sillyfishies said:
I had the same problem. 2 weeks later mine would come up to the glass and try to show off for me.

Ha they seem to come out
More when it's quiet in the room.

I feed the frozen ones that come in a cube. Just pop the cube out, use a knife and cut a piece off, get a little cup with some tank water and swish it around, then wait till the worms are thawed out and dump them in the tank. They go crazy for them!!

I have a school of boesmani rainbows, a school of Congo tetras, a couple clown loaches, and a Pictus. It's pretty awesome when they all get together for a group photo

But back to the rams. I think they may both be males. I watched them try to dominate each other. It was actually very interesting to watch

My pair will try and fight with each other. I think they just get tired of caring for the kids, lol. If you do have two males, you might want to take one back. But if it were me, I would wait and watch them color up for a week or two.

Back
Top Bottom