basic medicine cabinet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

What medications do you keep on hand?

Something for ick?....Some antibiotic?...Melafix?

What's in a good basic medicine cabinet?

When I first started my tank three months ago I wanted to be ready for anything that could happen. I did a lot of research first and found so much could go wrong with a tank. But of course first starting out I was going to do everything right and have the perfect tank with no diseases or deaths. So here is my list of meds I have on hand: Maracyn, Maracyn-Two, Trisulfa, Tetracycline Tablets, Anti Fluke, Rid Ich, Aquari-Sol, aquarium salt and a Proquatics Bacteria Starter for after I'm done medicating and my biological filter has been harmed. All the meds have a expiration of three to four years from now and are kept in ziplock bags in a safe storage container. I know it seems like a lot of meds to have around and also was pricy, but I can't always get to a store if something were to go wrong. And yes I've had to use some of my meds as my idea of a perfect tank went out the window when my first fish died of swim bladder and another of a fungus all within one week of my first fish purchase. And of course other health problems have occured. My oldest son keeps asking me how can I enjoy my fish so much when I do so much work caring for my tank only to loose one now and then?Its hard for him to believe I simply love caring for them.

Lets see. I have in my fishie med cabinet:

Rid Ich+
Meth Blue
Maracyn2
Amquel
Aquarium salt
Melafix

And I've actually used: aquarium salt and Melafix. Never touched the other stuff. Used the salt during a bout of ich (which was treated succesfully with high temps and salt) and the Melafix when my angels get nippy with each other and decide to split each others tails. Quite frankly, clean water at all times seems to preclude a need for most meds (although having them around is very good insurance just in case).

A note about the salt. Some creatures you keep are very sinsitive to salt so only use it if the fish/inverts you have can take the salt being in the water.

Yellowjackt makes a very good point about the biological filter being damaged after using anti-bacteral medications. The anti-bacteral medications we use dont exactly target only the bad bactera in the tank. It will attack the good bactera that consumes ammonia aswell. This is one reason why its good to not go crazy with medicating the tank at the first sign of a possible disease or infection.

Getting to the root of the problem and then taking care of the cause is just as important as medicating the fish back to health.

Oh yeah I forgot to add I keep a good magnifying glass also in my med cabinet so when I feed in front or they are just hanging around, I can examine them up close.

Back
Top Bottom