BCarl's 26 gallon Bf Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im not convinced of anything. I did have an idea today. We had our pool water report sitting on the counter and they can test for salt (don't know how low). So I am going to try and bring them my "pool water" and see what it comes back with.

Im not convinced of anything. I did have an idea today. We had our pool water report sitting on the counter and they can test for salt (don't know how low). So I am going to try and bring them my "pool water" and see what it comes back with.

Sounds like a plan B...

sit in silence...

Alright guys, good news. bad news. So after slightly manipulating the customer service rep at pinch-a-penny she tested my water. After I told her my issue and what I was after she was more than willing to help. So my tank is actually brackish. The test came back with 900ppm of sodium chloride...... The unsoftened well water in the store read a level of 300. From quick research it seems a "normal" drinking water is about 100ppm. Now the chlorine came back with a reading of 0 so that means it is all Na. We read the test kit to confirm that this was all it was testing. Unfortunately they are really busy and can't test the rest of the source water to find out if it is getting through the RO system. She recommended some sodium chloride test kit that I found online for about $10.

I would be curious if you guys brought your water by a pinch a penny what your sodium chloride (salt) would test at (they test water for free). So the saga continues.

Not going to say it... nope.... ;)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

LOL its not over yet, found another location with a chemist who is willing to help me. Keep you guys posted.

Yep i think theres a few ppl been saying co2 OR SALT for quite a while

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Last edited:
On the retest the tank was at 300ppm but the RODI from both sources was 0

Got some input for other people on the sodium mystery here was the best response. I also used the TDS meter on my tank and came back with a value of 550ppm.

That makes a lot more sense. I was thinking this was some sort of pool testing service you were using that gave you a comprehensive water quality report. They usually separate sodium from chloride in terms of ppm.

Reading the page for the current meter (PoolMeter™), it looks like it really measures conductivity. It is calibrated against either a natural water standard (with a mix of ions) or a sodium chloride standard (salt only, or almost exclusively.) However, there is no way that a device of this type could distinguish among different ions in solution. That is, it is picking up everything in the water and calling it sodium chloride.

It appears that the NaCl value is a rescaling of the TDS value, or vice versa, depending on the calibration. The reason that the two scales are different is that it takes less NaCl to reach a given conductivity as compared to a generic mix of sodium, chloride, sulfate, and carbonate ions (the TDS mixture it assumes you're testing.)

A straightforward way to test this idea would be to dissolve 0.25 grams of salt in 1L of RO water and 0.25 grams of KNO3 in another liter of RO water. If I'm right it should read ~250 ppm NaCl in the first and somewhat less (~175 ppm NaCl, at a guess) in the second. Similary, the TDS measurements would be ~450ppm and ~225 ppm, respectively. If it truly is a TDS meter and an NaCl meter, it will read 250ppm TDS in each, 250ppm NaCl in the first, and 0 ppm NaCl in the second, but I can't see how the device could make that distinction from what I can see of its construction.

All of that said, that does still mean that you've got a fair bit of stuff dissolved in your tank. What that is remains a mystery at this point.

So it's not salt? Definitively??

Correct, now there is TON of dissolved solids in the tank that I am going to try to figure out why the TDS is high. I am going to do a water change tomorrow with all city water.

I dunno man.. Lotta science here, i do like science but I still think your tank is over saturated with one if the main building blocks of life..

Lol with this tank you expect the unexpected... I mean a TDS of 550 is A LOT especially considering I use an RO blend.

A tds of 550 after Rodi is pretty uncanny I'd suspect..

So I did 2 10 gallon water changes this morning and got the TDS down to 370 after macro ferts and a little GH booster. The ferts increased TDS by about 70ppm. With my source water being about 125ppm, the target in the tank I think should be around 250-275. I am going to do another water change in a few days to bring it down again and keep dosing the same.

550ppm is really high and who knows what kind of inorganics that was built up. Is it resulting in poor plant growth? Don't know, is it helping to have that much crap in the water. No.

So I did 2 10 gallon water changes this morning and got the TDS down to 370 after macro ferts and a little GH booster. The ferts increased TDS by about 70ppm. With my source water being about 125ppm, the target in the tank I think should be around 250-275. I am going to do another water change in a few days to bring it down again and keep dosing the same.

550ppm is really high and who knows what kind of inorganics that was built up. Is it resulting in poor plant growth? Don't know, is it helping to have that much crap in the water. No.

I think that you're on to something. Keep it up!

More water changes are never a bad thing!

So today is the day for another water change. After tracking the TDS the macros and gh booster are really driving this number. Its hard to say this is the cause of my troubles. I want to get it under 300 though, eventually 200.

img_3243029_0_f0eb96acb7f69d1e56d03360f061f35e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3243029_1_56592ffcd6a2a7c523ce3514abac7344.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3243029_2_24bd81c6204ee64f22b560173fb9202c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3243029_3_52f049b79710eb27d666c2c036e6c5a4.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom