Bcarl's 5 Gal. Hex Rimless Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarl_10gal

Aquarium Advice Addict
Let the mystery ensue...... My next build will be revealed and under construction this weekend. I will post a few teaser pics as things come in and see if anyone can figure out this build. I will give this hint, I will be very busy with work in the next few months so this build will be low maintenance and easy to keep up with.... But in the meantime let the speculation begin..... And as always plan for a decent bit of science talk mixed with a (hopefully) happy tank!

Is this going to be anothrr BF tank?
I can see loads of java fern, crypts, and buces in here

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Buces were under strong consideration but they did not make the cut... At least for now. The tank is nonstandard but not a bow front.

Next hint: This tank will feature 4 plants that were once grown in the bow..... For every correct guess I will reveal a part of the setup! Have fun!

Blyxa japonica? Rotala macrandra? You due have the rotala right?

I'm not very good with the science part of it but I do like low maintenance tanks!

Blyxa japonica? Rotala macrandra? You due have the rotala right?

Still growing these plants but they are not going to be in this build.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

All great guesses but no winners so far.... The 26 gallon thread has the answers :)

Package 1/3...
img_3308596_0_1f7433ac18055330a77999d7ff92c95c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Package 2 is here as well but its just a few plants....

2/5. Remember all plants once appeared in the 26. Think midground/foreground. But i owe 2 details so one: DIY co2

And two: Brightwell!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Alright guys, the light is in so heres the scoop!

Tank: Marineland 5 Gal Hex (Derimmed and modded)
Filter: Aquaclear 30
Co2: DIY 1 gallon still
Light: Finnex Stingray Clip On
Substrate: Brightwell
Hardscape: Seiryu Stone
Fertz: PPS pro for micros and and 1/2 EI for macros at first but will scale back even more. Water changes will be about 25% to maintain homogeneity for the shrimp
Plants: Downoi, Star Repens, AR mini, Pogo, True Rotala Indica (Possibly H. Pinn)
Fauna: Red cherry shrimp, an oto or 2, endlers?, guppies? or CPDs?

Here is the tank!
img_3310136_0_d7806d6389ec431b28c6cf86c679d65c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3310136_1_b1285a312b883099c55062940f938cf2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
img_3310136_2_1d428b505286810f8a032c234de72a6c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
My initial thoughts on the Stingray.

Wow, what a slim LED. It is definitely a warmer spectrum than my other lights. Personally I think a cooler spectrum is deceiving in PAR compared to something around 6500. I am slightly concerned if this light will not be strong enough, but it could be deceiving due to the spectrum. People guesstimate around 30 PAR off this guy, it's only 12 inches to the substrate so we will see. The only thing I was disappointed in was the white trim work. There were two white ends on the actual light that I addressed with a black sharpie. I will post an update in a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom