Beginner aquarium plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman94

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had tanks for years but never really got into properly planted tanks just the odd plant on a bit of wood. so I was wondering what are good plants to start with?

Preferably low co2 plants

Hard to go wrong with Java Ferns. There are a few varieties available, and all are pretty much "bulletproof".

Anubias are also pretty easy plants to get started with.

Water Wysteria are nearly as easy, and with decent light (no need for high light and CO2), can grow pretty quickly.

Hard to go wrong with Java Ferns. There are a few varieties available, and all are pretty much "bulletproof".

Anubias are also pretty easy plants to get started with.

Water Wysteria are nearly as easy, and with decent light (no need for high light and CO2), can grow pretty quickly.

Aside from those mentioned, Crypts are also a good beginner low light plant.

Light isn't a problem I just don't really want to get into all the co2 stuff

The two kinda go hand in hand, you get to a certain point with the light and Co2 /fertilizer supplementation becomes a necessity.

That said, I have seen some tanks with hairgrass and no co2, but for a really lush growing tank you'd want to up the lighting and likewise up the co2/fertilizer.

Fishman94 said:
Light isn't a problem I just don't really want to get into all the co2 stuff

Actually- light IS the problem. Dwarf hairgrass needs a lot of light (CO2-levels of light) to thrive.

Once again, other than a qualitative statement, what kind of light do you have?

Crypts, wisteria, and anubias are usually good starter plants. Jave ferns are a little less hardy than those, but still a good economical plant.

Back
Top Bottom