Beginner corals for 75 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alexmv

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have 75 gallon reef aquarium that I just set up 5 days ago and I am trying to collect as much information as I can about the fish and corals before I add them to my tank. I would like to know about some good beginner corals I can start with. I would also like to know how long I should wait before I add any corals to my aquarium. I currently have 5 yellowtail blue damsels in my tank to help with the cycle stage. I am also interested in anemones and I would like to know more about them and their care and if they are something that i could add to my tank. Please leave any and as much info as possible.

Thanks
Alex

You should wait a couple months after the tank cycles to start adding corals and the easiest are Softies followed by LPS and finally SPS the best way to learn about new stock IME is get on liveaquaria.com and just start browsing lol and as for the anemone most will say wait a minimum 8 months to add and you need strong lighting or else you run the risk of killing everything in your tank

Definitely wait a couple of months. Monitor the parameters during that time. Mushrooms are probably the easiest. Take it slow and she will grow.

I actually just bought a T5 HO 4 bulb light ( 2 actinic and 2 white bulbs) but I think I am going to return it and get the LED light. It doesn't cost that much more And it will definently be worth it so I can have ANY coral. Thanks for the advice everyone!

I'm no expert for sure, but not really a fan of the damsels... I think I would recommend taking them out once you finish cycling if you plan on putting in peaceful fish.

For Corals I have a couple zoa colonies that are doing very well as is the mushroom. Both of those should be beginner friendly and are very attractive in my opinion.

I have a green bubble tip nem... He has done well in my tank, but I agree. Wait several months to make sure your water quality is stable. Also, research nem and clown fish combos as some nems host certain clowns in the wild. I have a true percula clown in my bta that doesn't host in the wild but does in my tank, go figure.

I use the website liveaquaria.com for a lot of research, they have great beginner sections for fish and coral that are harder to kill off. Also I believe the website vivid aquariums has a great compatibility chart. Wow that was a lot lol.

JustinKBreen- ok that was alot of helpful info, thanks! I will definently wait about 2 months to get any corals or an anemone. And that will give me time to do lots of research. I agree about the damsels. Lucky for me that my aquarium store is very flexible and will let me exchange my damsels for other fish. I have also seen a few different mushroom corals and I as well think they are quite beautiful. So from what I read here it looks like some mushrooms will be my first coral. I was also wondering about the clown fish with the anemone. Do I have to add the clowns and the anemone at the same time for them to host or can I get one first and then the other later?

No need to ad at the same time. I had the bta about 3 or 4 weeks before the clown, however if there is a nem with a clown already hosing in it at your lfs then it may be good to just get both. No guarantee that a specific nem and clown will ever host, even if they are compatible. Also if your lights are good you don't really need to target feed the nem much. Every once in a while I feed mine a small piece of Krill

Back
Top Bottom