beginners plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LestWeForget13

Aquarium Advice Regular
what would be a good beginner's plant? like one you could just put in there and it would be fine with some care. im looking for one that will just grow from the bottom

Anubias Nana was my first, and it's still doing well, any of the Anubias will do well, they require little care and not as much light as some other species, but they are slow growing.

Nana is also a bottom creeper, (only chutes will hit 5" high, main plant is 2" high) you can also tie it to wood and it will grab.. good choice, but make sure it has more then 4 leaves (8-10 prefered) and it will grow at a slow and steady pace.

avoid "swords" as from what I hear says you need a lot of light and nutrients for them

Seachem makes a tab (flourish tab) that helps with nutrients that are usually needed for plants.

Some good beginner plants: Hornwort, Waterweed, Java fern, Java moss. They are not too demanding of lighting conditions and will do fine.

Also watersprite and hygrophila - those along with the hornwort you just toss in and let 'em float and grow. I am particularly fond of hornwort as a no-brainer plant that looks good floating. I got some stems in a shipment and there were no leaves, just bare stems about 2" long with some nodes along the length. I tossed them in anyway and forgot about them, and now a few weeks later it is lush and growing everywhere.

no one has ever mentioned it, but what is the process of starting with a new plant, what excatly do you do?

Well, first thing, substrate, unless you are going for the garden of all gardens, it won't really matter with a single plant., if it's very fine sand you may want to add a weight to the plant.

for nutrients, a single plant should just need regular water changes (if using tap water) to replace the trace elements.

Lighting, if you are using lower light there is a limited type of plants you can choose, if your tank has daylight on it, then you're pretty much set.

was there something more you were wondering?

as for placement, pick a place that looks nice to you, remember, plants grow so try not to pin them into a tight corner

Back
Top Bottom