Best fish to breed and make money

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscar98

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im at a friends house and he is into fish to. He wants to know what fish can he breed that breeds fairly regularly and around $20 a fish to sell fry. I told him he wont be making a profit but he just wants to breed fish and make a little money at the same time. Hes a nubie but i can help him out if he were to breed cichlids and even if he didnt i could help a little. TANK SIZE IS NOT A PROBLEM. He can basically get any tank size he wants and it will have perfect everything.

Edit: he is leaning towards new world cichlids, stingray, and old worlds like frontosa

The best answer is to go to whomever would be the most likely place he will sell the fish to ( Pet store, Fish club, etc.) and ask them what they are willing to buy from him. This way you concentrate on the fish people want not necessarily what you want to breed.

Hope this helps

Folks, it doesn't sound like our friend has too much experience, therefore he needs to stick to the basics. $20 a fish isn't going to happen in one tank. For the beginner, angels are the best shot at break even. They require an additional growout tank if you want to flip them fast.

Folks, it doesn't sound like our friend has too much experience, therefore he needs to stick to the basics. $20 a fish isn't going to happen in one tank. For the beginner, angels are the best shot at break even. They require an additional growout tank if you want to flip them fast.

I do, but he doesnt. But he was just robbed of $1,500 his tv, and a bunch of other stuff. So he cant do it for a while.

The best answer is to go to whomever would be the most likely place he will sell the fish to ( Pet store, Fish club, etc.) and ask them what they are willing to buy from him. This way you concentrate on the fish people want not necessarily what you want to breed.

Hope this helps

Id do this. Sometimes the stores wont take them if they dont sell very often. Alot of the times they will buy from individuals to save some money but they do care about quality. Your friend will need to do some research because you cant breed the same fish over and over and over because the same quality product will be produced. Breeding can turn very expensive if you want a higher quality fish. You have and your friend have alot to think about and a lot of research. Your looking at around 10 to 15 - 10g or 20long tanks for grow outs if he is looking for a quick buck. We have some great people here who know more. Be patient as I know they will chim in soon! Good luck oscar98!

Back
Top Bottom