Best nitrate remover

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi. I would like to know more on how this CE would be used in your tank. Such as planting etc to get the best result in its use. I have just done some minimum research and find many species of this plant and from what I have read, they require a lot of moisture but also say to much cause root rot. I am interested. Thus would be a great asset IMO.

Thanks Fred

I second! I happen to have this in my house plants. Do you submerse? I've got a vivarium. I can do emmersed also!!

You can use it like pothos or many other plants. You can plant a hob. Shower caddy, airline suction cups, ect.. Whatever works. Can get creative.

There awesome threads all over internet on planted hob. CE is great. I like pothos, sweet potatoe vine, and wandering jew as well.

1 or 2 large yes large water changes over a weeks time will help get you back to where you want to be , than I'd start with the plants from there , also try changing your feeding regimen , if your using a canister you may need to clean it out with some old tank water,
canisters are known to build high phosphate levels , I cleaned one out once I thought I had a septic tank it was that rank.

First do you have thick pebble substrate or fine gravel or sand, my nitrates dropped dramatically from switching from a thick big pebble substrate to a fine small pebble, water changes will lower your nitrates but honestly nitrates are not a big concern at lower levels below 60 ppm, plants are nitrate hogs so if you have a finer gravel /sand and depending on your light you could go low tech planted plus plants actually are beneficial to the tank as a whole.

Also remember nitrates will be in your filter so cleaning the sponge /pads depending on what filter you have week also lower them, there's no need to get chemicals or filter pads to lower them, water changes, don't over feed, plants (if you want to go that route), feed small small amounts 2-3 times a day instead of one big one once a day.

Thanks for all the replys. I am going to try several plants. This weekend I got some bamboo and another plant and so far so good.
They uprooted the plants, so I used some brown thread and tired the bottom to some drift wood.

I beg to differ. My 55 gallon tank stays in perfect balance with a 10% change weekly, but my 20 gallon the nitrates were always creeping up with a 20% weekly change. I did a 40% change, then started doing 20% every few days and within a few weeks got down from 20-30 ppm to 10-15 ppm. And it doesn't really take very long at all.

And you have no plants or other nitrate removers?
How heavily stocked is your tank?

My nitrates are 0 in a heavily stocked 110 gal tank. Very few water changes at all, but well planted.

As above on the canister filter or other filter clean - I've found nitrates can drop after a filter clean.

Tried API nitra-zorb. Might be ok in a small tank but found a water change less work than re-charging it.

http://www.apifishcare.com/product.php?id=547#.WPK5mIE_WEc

Plants as suggested. Or go with a simple, easy to clean tank that large water changes / gravel vacs can be done on. Some here are set up with pumps for doing fish rooms and probably do their fish room faster than I do one tank.

Back
Top Bottom