Best position for the filter in my tank - any thoughts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have been wondering about the best placement for my filter... It is a Fluval 3+ Underwater Filter that attaches to the side of the tank via 3 suction cups.

I have attached a picture I drew of the tank layout looking DOWN from ABOVE the tank, showing the position the filter is in just now and the consequent water circulation flow from that.

In the LFS most tanks albeit smaller than mine for the most part and even the bigger ones have the filters just at one side... I have also noticed that most fish in my tank tend to stay to the right hand side of the tank where the flow ends back at the filter I assume due to the current making it difficult to possibly hang around the left hand side. If I was to put it on the back side of the tank and have it facing the other side (i.e. facing across the tank front to back) as opposed to length ways, do you think this would cause too much current in such a short space or perhaps they may like it, or completely reposition the filter in the centre of the tank?

The filter is stuck on just below the water surface line with the venturi (?) valve above the water to get airation through the filter.

Any thoughts from anyone in the know?

Many thanks.

Attachments

• filter_610.jpg
    filter_610.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 1,490
if you put it facing the side, it will create a larger range of currents, so the fish could hang out where they want.

I ran a test on my little 5 gal with a powerhead and a couple drops of red food coloring using a setup similar to the one pictured above. The water does make a circuit around the tank but also splits off the far side, causing a 'mixing bowl' effect in the center of the tank.

edit:
This setup shows the left side making a definite cycle that moves faster than the right side of the tank. The right side makes a slower cycle, which is where the PH is located. Directly above the PH, the water flow slows down.

Attachments

• current2_113.jpg
    current2_113.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,496
Back
Top Bottom