best tank size and best equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And by basic I don't mean the fish, I mean like the tank set up. If you do a lot of research all the equipment will benefit but if you just start slapping stuff on a tank without knowing what you are doing it can cause problems. I just don't want you to go out and waist money and time resulting in a less than satisfying experience.

So, out of the fish you like for a beginner I would recommend the:
zebra danios (make sure you get 6+ as they are schooling fish),
Mollies are good starter community fish and come in lots of colors (you might also look into platy fish they are similar looking and have a lower bio load),
+1 to mebbids angelfish suggestion even just two can grow into beautiful centerpiece fish, especially if your wife made a request ;)
You might look into getting another schooling fish, schools can be very relaxing to watch and there are lots of brightly colored schoolers
cory cats are great little bottom schoolers and will help clean up "leftovers"
When researching your fish another good thing to figure out is where they hang out in your tank (top/mid/bottom) and make sure you get a nice balance ther too.
If you are not sure you can always start small, and if you later see a fish that you think would make a great addition, do a little research on it and if it works add it. You don't have to stock your tank all in one go, take your time :)
You might want to research about planted tanks and sub-strait, I won't pretend to know much about it, but it's worth looking into. Also +1 to aqadvisor.com, it's awesome.
Hope this helps and sorry it's a bit choppy in organization. Good luck and I'd love hear your final decisions.

+1 to the zebra danios they are awesome fish. Mine just had babies

I keep forgetting about my sons guppies, I had thought of moving them into the big tank and out of the 10g. So I can use the 10g as a quarantine tank, just in case, Thoughts?...

Hey gang, hello again. just I just wanted to pass along an update in my progress and get some input again. I have done extensive research since we last spoke and finally got an aquarium set up, placed and leveled. I bought a 60g 48x13x24 with fluorescent lighting and stand. Later this week I will be buying the equipment and other components to make this sucker operational. that list includes, but is not limited to:
Aquaclear 110, gravel substrate (Ecocomplete?..) night time LED's?.. salt, API Master test kit, Python, Aqueon or Fluval adj heater, 1 mercury 1 digital thermometer, Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, Mopani Malaysian and or Manzanita, caves or terra cotta posts for use as caves, battery back-up surge protector( due to power outages that occur more often than I would like), Misc decorations.
Stocking Plan: 1 clown pleco, 1 blood parrot, 1 angelfish, 2 german blue, 2 golden ram, mix of ghost & red cherry shrimp & 8-12 guppies (mixed genders)

I'm sure some of you, if not all of you. will disagree with my stocking selection. I am not asking for opinions or guidance with it. I am really just seeking advice/suggestions on better equipment/components if needed, I only included the stocking list to help better guide with the equipment/components.
I've made my stocking selection because, for every website I find that tells me one thing about this stocking selection, I find two that contradict the one and it only pertains to water temp. The only common denominator is that the shrimp may become food for some of the fish, thank you in advance for your help and taking time to read this.

I think the stock is ok. It isn't if the shrimp will be lunch, they will definitely be lunch haha. Given enough cover though you may get a couple survivors

I think the stock is ok. It isn't if the shrimp will be lunch, they will definitely be lunch haha. Given enough cover though you may get a couple survivors

I believe that your correct and I may have casualties there, I am anticipating that. I do plan on having a well planted tank and plenty o' cover. It will be an experiment to see the result. I don't plan to buy fully grown fish, and am hopeful that if I add everyone at the same time it may work.

did I miss anything with the equipment?.. do you think that their something else I may need instead of what I listed?

No I think you got everything. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head

Back
Top Bottom