Best way to clean used filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlaseMrNiceguy

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a hob filter the I previously used on an old tank that I replaced so now I'm thinking about adding it to my 55 to add a little extra filtration so basically what's the best way to clean it all out?

I soak all of my stuff in vinegar. Some say bleach and all, but I've been using vinegar for years then rinsing it out, and have only had great results!

15-30 minutes. I do my filter housing, piping, propeller. Don't soak your mechanical pads or any media. I also do this toy Syphon and stuff like that. After it soaks for that 15-30 minutes i like to wash it out with hot water. Oh, and I know you know this, but I'll say it anyways, white vinegar only.

Any biological media should just be rinsed with aquarium water. If you use tap water or vinegar, the chlorine will kill the bio. But if you are doing a first time clean up before the tank is set up and running. Vinegar will be fine. Rinse very well afterwards.

Ok now I'm thinking I might not need to clean I had this on a tank with nothing wrong just upgraded the filter do I still need to clean it it's been off the tank for about 2 months

BlaseMrNiceguy said:
Ok now I'm thinking I might not need to clean I had this on a tank with nothing wrong just upgraded the filter do I still need to clean it it's been off the tank for about 2 months

If there is any old algae or gunk in it, then I would. But as long as your other filter is still in the tank, your new filter will catch up. If its dirty, clean it. If not, I don't see a whole lot of bacteria living on a dry filter housing.

Back
Top Bottom