Best way to move an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1HellerofaGuy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm moving this week and of course I have to move my two aquariums.
Does anyone have any advice or tricks to simplify this process and also make it as stress free as possible for my fish

Hey :)

My first bit of advice would be to leave the tank until its the absolute last thing that you need to move (if possible) this will reduce the amount of time the fish have to be stressed and in transit.

When moving my tank I drained the water so there was about a quarter left, putting some into buckets (alternatively to buckets you could ask your local fish shop if its possible to get some of their plastic bags that they put fish in when purchased) I then removed any large decor items like driftwood etc and got them packed away. If your tank is planted its best to leave both the plants and substrate as is, it would only create more hassle trying to take them all out.

After that I put my fish into the buckets and proceeded to drain the water as low as possible.. when lifting and carrying the tanks remember to support the bottom of them as this is where they are most likely to break when they have substrate and remaining water in!

You could always add heater packs to the buckets with fish in if the move will be long, however if its not too far its not necessary!

Good luck :)

plastic totes keep fish in with all your filter media a batt opp air stone if long travel , another one for decorations and what ever else you have pumps filters ect
remember keep sub-straight wet so it don't die off during trip will also help lesson the chance of a cycle when you get to your new home

What size tanks are you moving? 10 or 20 gal you may be able to move with the substrate in, but any larger will be VERY heavy and risk breaking the bottoms out. I have moved my 75 gal a couple times (relocating and replacing a damaged stand).

Get a few 5 gal buckets with lids, one for the fish, one for substrate, one for live plants if you have any. Make a few small holes near the center of the lid of the fish bucket and run an air line in through one of the holes to keep them alive. A battery powered air pump should keep them kicking for the several hours it should take to set up their new home. As stated earlier, keep the substrate & filter media wet so you don't have to deal with a cycle when you set everything back up. I also clean out the gravel as I'm scooping it out.. amazing how much dirt accumulates down in there!

Back
Top Bottom