Betta 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

barterking85

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a 10 gallon tank i want to set up for bettas so my question is....
how many bettas can i keep in my 10 gallon? do i need tank dividers if i have more then 1?

You could keep 2-3 females together, no tank divider. Just make sure you have many plants and deco to diminish line of sight. If you wanted to put a male betta I would just put one, and have the tank loaded with real or fake plants and deco.

Sent from my iPhone

ok i have one male betta now in a one gallon but iam buying a ten for him i was told i could put a couple females in with him any truth to that?

ryan-peddle said:
ok i have one male betta now in a one gallon but iam buying a ten for him i was told i could put a couple females in with him any truth to that?

NO! Eventually he will kill the girls. The only time a female is to be kept with a male is for breeding purposes, and then is to be taken out immediately. I hope this helps you.

Courtesy of Dakota's iPod.

+1 male bettas can not be kept with female bettas. Make sure that you cycle the 10 gallon before putting your Betta in.

Sent from my iPhone

ryan-peddle said:
no two males with a non transparent divider.

Good. Just make sure there are absolutely no gaps a fish can get through. There have been too many horror stories.

already have one one jumped the divider and attacked our beautiful Blue it sucks he has hole in his fins. now blue has the 10 gallon to himself while he is being treated and it might stay that way big red is in the 5 gallon what a bully

ryan-peddle said:
already have one one jumped the divider and attacked our beautiful Blue it sucks he has hole in his fins. now blue has the 10 gallon to himself while he is being treated and it might stay that way big red is in the 5 gallon what a bully

It's not that he's a bully. That's their instinct. I just saw your other thread about this. I'm sorry this happened, but that's why dividers need to be checked. This is something to definitely keep in mind.

yeah i didnt think they would jump so i put the water level to the top of the divider iam gonna lower it if i put them together again. do you find aquarium salt help the holes in the fin at all or should i skip that cause iam using diluted melafix?

Fish don't do anything they're not genetically inclined to do. Its not their fault we captured/bred them to live in an artificial environment. He was only doing what comes natural.

Good luck with those bettas. Hope your blue one heals up and does ok.

ryan-peddle said:
i know it was just a joke people lol i do too if anyone has fin repair help feel free to post

Sorry if we annoyed you. It's kinda hard to tell if someone is joking over the Internet is all.

i have diluted mealfix 1 part to 5 parts water along with some aquarium salt and he is doing great swimming all over and showing off his fins

I've heard too many horror stories of dividers being jumped...and the glass dividers don't allow for proper filtration and heating. In a 10 gal 1 male or a sorority of females. You can do 4-6 females in a 10 gal..some say no less than 6 (I have 6). I've heard accounts of 2 or 3 females living together peacefully but I've also heard that you are far more likely to eventually have violence between the girls if not grouped in larger numbers. Sororities are awesome but require a lot of research and a heavily planted tank. Putting females with a male should only be done to breed and even then it can be a violent process. A female is just as likely, if not more likely, to kill your male than the other way around.

iam still gonna try it my other betta is temporarily in a 1.5 gallon and i dont want to leave him in there too much longer cause its suppose to be my betta hospital tank

Back
Top Bottom