betta and a 2.5gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adadkins1 said:
, like jeta said, if you understand whats going on and you know what needs to be done you can definitely pull of a fish-in cycle safely..

I agree-- with a bit of knowledge and luck you can do everything :) I even managed to do a fish-in cycle with an Amano Shrimp, which I suppose is one of the more sensitive creatures there...
And since I'm off-topic anyway (sorry!)-- isn't the tank a bit too small for a Betta?

Well, IMO not really. I think 2.5 is definitely the smallest tank I'd ever put a Betta in though. I currently have a male in a 2.5 and he is happy as can be. The tank is filtered, heated, and heavily planted. Even if you don't plant the tank, you just have to do the regular once a week PWC's to keep nitrAtes within acceptable limits.

Maybe a sponge filter would work ok? I have never used one personally though

I use sponge filters in several 2.5's like the Small World's. Works great and it's super easy to control the surface agitation which is great for a betta.

I agree that it's too small for a betta. I could see keeping one of my teeny females in one, but not a male. Once I had kept them in larger tanks like my 20 and 29, I just didn't think they looked so happy in the smaller tanks anymore. Even a 5 gal is pretty small... JMO

You can take it down as far as you can while still leaving enough water in for the betta to remain in the tank. Make sure you get the water temp matched perfect. Use Prime as your dechlorinator and it will neutrilize whatever ammo/nitrite is left for 24 hours.

If you're just going to do water changes rather than a filter, then one of the best ways to "treat" your water if you have the space is to get a 2 to 3 gallon bucket, fill it with water, and leave it uncovered in the same room as the betta for 24 before the next water change. If your water has chlorine, you won't even need the Prime, as it will evaporate out of the water from the open bucket. If your water has chlorimien, or if you want to put a lid on the bucket to prevent spills and contamination, then you'll still need the Prime, but the water will be the same tempurature as the fish tank (assuming you don't have a heater or intense lights).

Bettas need a heated tank IMO. I've found they do the best at 80.

Yes, I agree. DO NOT skimp on a heater, period! I've had a Betta in an unheated tank and he was miserable. Add a heater and he was a astronomically different fish.

There are small heaters that will fit in a container that size, for about $10 or less. When my Betta was in a 2 gallon bowl, I just scooped him out into the container he came in, while I cleaned it. So I could clean out the gravel and 100 percent of the water.

I would recommend a 25 watt Hydor Theo. It's the only adjustable heater I've used in a tank that small. Others with preset temps usually will not keep the water warm enough. I do think it's easier on the betta if you don't remove it for cleanings. If the pH of the tank and the pH of your tap are different, a 100% water change may be too shocking.

I'd do about 75% water changes, this should leave room for the Betta to swim. At the same time it will be large enough to lower the ammonia, nitrItes, nitrAtes.

Ok mistake bought a Betta no heater will he make it till morning to go buy one. The guy at petco said they didn't need one.

You're not alone. People hear that all the time. Workers at many LFS' are misinformed themselves and spread a lot of misinformation. Even some that come off as very knowledgeable. I never trust them and always do my own research.

Just wanted to say, do not listen to the people at "Big Box Stores" because they normally don't know what they are talking about. Granted some employees are very knowledgeable, most are clueless.

Yeah i found a 10watt heater at petsmart for 14$ i have my little electric heater blowing air towardhis tank. Will he make it till morning

Yeah he'll be ok. Dont worry. They can survive for a while without heat. But they live longer, healthier lives at around 80 degrees. They are also more active and playful in the proper temp. You're going to have a happy Betta!

Back
Top Bottom