Betta breeding!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cross of percolate I don't have one here and our pets marts in Canada where I live have horrible fish there always deformed and missing eyes and such but I'd be happy to buy from you if your selling

Starfox64 said:
My lfs only has males and won't order them for me

Petco sells them on their website and in stores as does petsmart. My Walmart has some at times.
And aquabid is always a good source.

Ninja has a nest spanning almost half of the tank. The girl doesn't looked striped yet but she is eggier than she looked yesterday. I'm wondering if she can stripe up as she is very very dark. When she arrived she showed some stress stripes but she was faded out. I'm not sure if I will be able to see her stripes. Either way they will be separated until wednesday when I have the day off.

Cross of percolate I don't have one here and our pets marts in Canada where I live have horrible fish there always deformed and missing eyes and such but I'd be happy to buy from you if your selling

sorry I have no females available at this time. The ones I got currently are for breeding projects. You may wanna do some in depth research on this fishes breeding. There are alot of sites on the net that will tell you how to accomplish this, they not the easiest fish to breed and the fry are tough to raise. You may want to check it out before you run out and waste time and money seaching for females.

Well I wish luck to both of you and if you have any females in the future let me know I have two male ready jaws and rock I let my sister name them. And a pocket full of cash ready for it but you guys seem to be great breeders so if you get some tell me and I'll take them off your hands

Check aquabid. You'll generally have to import but there is a Canadian Transhipper so you can get them from there.

You can also go to bettafish.com --logisticsguy on that site has a very nice breeding program going and is Canadian, I'm sure he'd be more than happy to sell and ship to you! He's got a gorgeous spawn of HM's ready, giant HMPK's are next

I think your best idea is finding a breeder that is in Canada or can export to a transshipper. I'm not sure if it would be legal to ship fish across the border without some sort of license.

And yet again, I have eggs! Cthulu and Anne bred this morning. Looks to be about 30 or so eggs, and since this is a first breed, I will expect a hatch, but got the breed tank set for one, and both fingers are crossed...Got millions of Micrworms ready to sacrifice themselves as well!!!

Cthulu is showing to be a better father than Loki was on his first attempt. When I checked this morning, I could not see any eggs. I feared he had eaten them all, but upon closer examination, I see the eggs well tucked into his Fortress nest. Loki did not do this and they a fell out for a day. Here's hoping this Paternal care brings a bit more success than last time. About a day and a half to hatch.

Update: We have fry....about 3 are free swimming of sort. But they still have the shell of the egg stuck on them but they are tooling around. At first I though it may have been a current...but then I realized, the tank is dead calm...no filter. Now I started up the bubbler so the O2 is there. Ctulu went berserk as the bubbler kicked..I read his mind, he was worried about the nest, but the stone is shielded and not making a big current. Looks like the micro worm metropolises will soon see a new terror loosed upon them!!!!

Ugh, in releasing my female I kind of trashed Ninja's nest. It went all the way to her vase so I had trouble moving it without ripping up the nest. So I'm floating her in a LFS cup until he can get some repairs done, lol.

Ugh, in releasing my female I kind of trashed Ninja's nest. It went all the way to her vase so I had trouble moving it without ripping up the nest. So I'm floating her in a LFS cup until he can get some repairs done, lol.

Don't worry he will repair it! Just let her go.....he will build a new one when he is not chasing her or displaying.

Cthulu built 3 before making one HUGE one!

Now there is one free swimmer...and as children do, he is driving his dad nuts!!! It refuses to stay in the nest and wants to try out those brand new fins...And Cthulu, applying strict parental guidelines, keeps catching it and putting it back, and the little scamp stays a nano second and returns to flitting about... and the cycle repeats...... He will be Sooooo weary when more start swimming....

Meanwhile, I had to stop the mating party on my end: after over 72hrs mating, no egg was coming out of my female, and Cassius became very aggressive.

On theory is that she is too small. I need to overfeed her before trying again.

Good luck, peeps. I will be back by the end of may!

Last edited:
Arrrrgggghhhhhhh!!!:banghead::banghead: Did not get up from sleeping as early as I planned! And Cthulu had wrecked his nest and eaten all in it! all my little swimmers GONE!!! He even ate the bad eggs on the tank floor that were there for a few days... All that was left was tiny little what appeared to be egg casings??? Vacuumed it out and put new water. Evil Cthulu went home and Enter Guinevere and Josie!!! Although Josie is acting very timid for a bada**ed Betta! I may have to remove him and try Rommel.... And another attempt....

Back
Top Bottom