Betta - bubble nest

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

courtnee

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a male betta in a 10gl tank. I changed the scape and put it in a mini cycle. Betta lost its color often and the PWC would bring his color back. I did a lot of PWC during this and tested theo ther day and the tank is cycled.

I noticed the last three days he is building very large bubble nests. I know they do this for breeding.

I also read that this means they are content and happy? Is this the case?

If this is true, this is a dang good feeling. He was bought from a tiny dirty cup in Walmart and now he is beautiful and so healthy. Spoiled too.

I almost bought one from a pet store that is better kept. I know buying from Walmart I only help them stock more. I am happy though of my choice because he is not sitting there anymore in a small cup, I brought him home to a huge 10gl tank, and someone who doesnt know what they are doing may of got him. Stuck him in another small dish etc.... I dont regret it at all.

He works hard on his bubble nest. After a PWC he builds it right back up and keeps it there. LOL I love it. I may in time divide the 10gl tank and have two in there. I am not sure though. I kind of like spoiling him with all 10gls!

Hi there...it's Mr. Angry (didn't everyone read Mr. Mister books as a kid?)

This is not an attack on the OP, this is anger vented to stores.

How many times have you read in a betta post
He was bought from a tiny dirty cup in Walmart and now he is beautiful and so healthy. Spoiled too.

I almost bought one from a pet store that is better kept. I know buying from Walmart I only help them stock more. I am happy though of my choice because he is not sitting there anymore in a small cup, I brought him home to a huge 10gl tank, and someone who doesnt know what they are doing may of got him. Stuck him in another small dish etc.... I dont regret it at all.

People will buy these fish! Stop cramming them into little plastic cups. Stock 3, in a friggin tank, just like a lot of other fish you carry, and people will still buy them. I'm sick of hearing how someone went to *insert whatever store name here* (STAY OUT OF THEIR DAMN PET SECTION) and saw these poor little bettas in their cramped and dirty quarters, and had to buy them, even though they knew better and that it will only propigate what is already happening (again, STAY OUT OF THEIR DAMN PET SECTION).

Or, would people buy these fish? If you saw a betta in a store, well cared for in it's own tank, would you still get it, now that there's nothing to pity? Hmmm....

Congrats on your new betta! I got two bettas from Walmart a few weeks ago too. The cups were not that small - think of the 1/4 pound containers from the deli that you get macaroni salad in - and I was happy to see that they were clean.

A loss of color usually means stress of some kind. I think you're right when you said you put the tank into a mini cycle. I'm glad the tank is back to normal now! What type of filter do you have?

Bettas do build bubble nests for breeding, but as you've seen, a female doesn't have to be present to trigger the nest-making. They are happy and content if they build a nest. It means all their needs are taken care of and they are healthy and following their instincts.

I used to use a plastic spoon to remove some of the bubbles. I put them in a plastic cup with some tank water during a water change, and then after the water change, I would put the bubbles back where I got them. I don't do that so much anymore. The betta always used to rebuild and add to the nest anyway. One betta I had built nests so big that I expected to open the front door someday to find bubbles spilling out! LOL

Many members have divided their tanks for two or more bettas. I did that too with my very first two bettas. The reason I (and I believe others have had this experience too) don't have a divided betta tank anymore is that maintenance is harder in a divided tank. The temperature may not stay stable when water has to flow through a divider. Algae often builds up due to areas of stagnant flow. Bettas don't like a strong water flow, so a strong filter would make them uncomfortable. Doing water changes can be difficult - the gravel vac is sometimes hard to start in a small area and vaccing under the divider is almost impossible. The divider itself can be unattractive, and it can make aquascaping more challenging. Some bettas get used to the divider, and some constantly flare at their tankmate. One member even reported a betta that managed to sneak over or around the divider. I now have two bettas in their own 5 gallon, planted tanks. The tanks are much prettier and the maintenance is easier.

Supermazz9, this thread is not the appropriate place for a rant at a retailer. If you have a problem with a specific store, take it up with the manager or district manager. Others on this forum report that they have gone through the proper channels to voice their concerns at a retailer's specific care practices and they reported that the manager was very interested in hearing their concerns. Don't assume that all the stores of one retailer are problematic. If you see one that is, talk to the manager.

Please do not post any other off-topic posts in this thread. Thank you.

Oh my. I wont even get going on the Walmart situation. I think turning a blind eye is ignorant. Like saying neglected children should stay with their parents in hope they will not have anymore. Not the right way to address the problem. I agree on voicing your opinion and education.

Very good advise on the divided tank. I didn't think about the cons of it like that but you raise very good points. I already have MTS I may as well keep feeding it eh? I think a 5gl planted tank for a Betta would be fun.

I like walmart's pet section at least the local one's, apet is a great supplier. Granted they can't much give you advice on how to care for fish, but they are just a retailer and people shouldn't rely on them for advice or care info. YOU the customer are responsible for knowledge of the animal YOU buy. Bettas in cups aren't bad either, most breeders seperate the males into small containers when they start getting aggressive. The cups are the best way to get the males from supplier to customer with least harm to fish. Once again the customer is responsible for what happens after they bring the fish home. If the store doesn't take care of the fish in cups, well that may be bad policy, but its business and that's how business works. I wouldn't feed my fish if I had them in a cup for a week. Fasting is better than dirty water. Bettas have a fast turnover in most places.

I like how you stress that it is the customer's responsibility to educate themselves and not just look at who you are buying from. I have learned so much from this forum and other forums about my fish keeping then I coulf of from a worker some where. It is best to get it from long time fish keepers and those who have learned through trial and error. :)

Back
Top Bottom