Betta Fish can't stop seeing reflection

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

meclem3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My Betta fish is constantly able to see his reflection. I do not keep the lights on in his tank very often as I think that tends to stress him out more. I have tried putting books behind the tank and on the sides but he is still able to see his reflection. I have a round 3.5 gallon tank that sits on my desk in my apartment. If anyone can give me some tips as to how I can eliminate this mirror effect and if you see something wrong with my tank setup I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 446.jpg
    FullSizeRender 446.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 64
  • fullsizeoutput_1f0c.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1f0c.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 88
  • fullsizeoutput_1f0d.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1f0d.jpg
    223.1 KB · Views: 57
  • fullsizeoutput_1f0e.jpg
    fullsizeoutput_1f0e.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 66
The problem is the shape of the tank. Because the tank is circular, almost all the light entering the tank will be reflected and rereflected in various directions. In a square or rectangular tank, light tends to go straight through except at the corners.

Yes. That is what I figured. Do you know of anything I can do to lessen its effect? I would like to wait a while before purchasing another tank.

The film used for window coating may help, there is a rice paper version, nice looking. Or a couple sheets of vellum paper from a copy shop, replace as needed. On the cheap a white plastic trash bag cut to size. I think the pattern/texture look of the paper options is a better than a plain sheet of copy paper.

The fish stores often have the cut your own background plastic like a graduated blue is nice.

Okay thank you so much! Is there a website you can refer me to which has the best option?
Also, do you think it is more helpful for the fish to have the lights in his tank on or off to lessen him seeing his reflection? I have my window blinds open so there is great lighting in my room that isn't directly hitting the tank.

Back
Top Bottom