Betta fish care & advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
But isn't that too low?
It may be a little too low. About 3/4" to 1" down from the surface. I am dealing with torn fins right now (hopefully not fin rot). That's when I found out about the panty hose test. Then realized that 3 of the plants I had had very very sharp edges. I replaced them with silk plants and sanded down ANYTHING that felt the slightest bit rough. I also got the hammock as recommended at the Aquatic store (Fish only). I am still in the process of getting his fins to heal now. There are lots of stuff that can cause ripped fins other than items in the tank. A very painful fact I am learning the hard way.

I just found out that if your Betta flares to much or for too long he can over flare and cause his fins to rip. Stress and bad water quality also causes ripped fins. I would be happy to share any info that I learn along the way. For right now I don't think the hammock is causing any issues but I am keeping a close eye out. If I think it does cause an issue I will let you know ASAP.

I hope everything works well for your Betta. Sure is very beautiful. May I ask boy or girl? And what is his/her name?

I like to keep my Bettas in at least 2.5g tanks. My current boy is in 5.5g planted tank. filtered and heated.

Tiny bowls without filters need water changes constantly. I do weekly partial water changes on my tanks.

Getting them more room also keeps water quality up and more room for plants. Bettas like places to rest or hide. I usually cover the back of the tank with black or dark cloth so the fish feel less exposed.

IMG_0241.jpgIMG_0243.jpg

I like to keep my Bettas in at least 2.5g tanks. My current boy is in 5.5g planted tank. filtered and heated.

Tiny bowls without filters need water changes constantly. I do weekly partial water changes on my tanks.

Getting them more room also keeps water quality up and more room for plants. Bettas like places to rest or hide. I usually cover the back of the tank with black or dark cloth so the fish feel less exposed.

View attachment 289752View attachment 289753

Gorgeous tank! Like the layout here. I find mine like a little exploration room or places they can hide.

View attachment 289752View attachment 289753
Wow what a beautiful tank. I love the set up you have. Very nice. I think I am going to get mine some more plants. :)

I have a marimo moss ball in my bettas tank and i would recommend u get one because they are natural filters ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1475585662.293499.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you. Those are old pics of one of my tanks. I was better about my water changes and ferts then. I still have multiple tanks, just no photo worthy scapes at the moment. I do a lot of housesitting.

The Yellow boy was very cool. I had him about 5 yrs.

That tank is a 10g rimless
Canister filter ( HOB would work fine)
LED light bar
Black Beauty blasting sand

Lots of Crypts including some rare stuff.

Dwarf Chain Swords
Java Ferns var species
Etc...

Liquid ferts 1-2x weekly
DIY Root Caps every 3 months or as needed.

Hi aquarium_kid. Betta are one of my favorite fish and have been keeping them for too many years to count.

The moss ball is a great addition for your fish's habitat. What might not be great is if that container with the moss ball is your fish's home.

Very small containers are extremely difficult to keep excellent water conditions for your Betta's good health. They need to be changed 50% every other day or every day depending upon what kind of food you feed and how fast it turns to ammonia. Do you have the time to do this every day, at least test to make sure it is not going to poison him?

Do you have a liquid test kit?

The large gravel you have allows food particles to get caught in between and the food will likely rot and cause poor water quality which can result in mild to severe health issues up to death.

There are many wild varieties of Betta.

Do you have a state or regional aquarium society near you? There are often breeders and keepers of fish who you might be able to meet and learn from and they have meetings - our group is free to attend but you can also join and become a member. Ours has auctions where you can buy new and used supplies too. And we have breeders of different kinds of Bettas. Excellent resource.

So the moss ball gives off ammonia?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom