Betta in community?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

asnyds

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would really like to add a betta into my community at some point after I add my tetra schools

I only want one, will it be aggressive?

Depends on the betta. Some are just more aggressive than others. As long as he has some room to claim a territory and the other fish aren't anything he may mistake for another betta (bright colors and/or flowy fins) there is a good chance he won't be aggressive. You also want to be sure to pick peaceful tankmates that won't try to chase or nip the betta.

I was going to do 5-6 flame tetras and 5-6 phantom tetras with a Cory cat or two.
Was going to do a dojo loach as well, but the betta may replace it.

Or anything else showy but friendly that anyone may suggest!

Its a 20 gallon tank

Some tetras are a bit nippy , but I think he may do ok there...Long as the filter dont shove him around. Most my bettas don't like being in the big tanks cuz the filters shove them around...I only have one in a community cuz he doesn't mind it at all and he dont even act like he has tank mates....just stays in his territory and does his own thing! Give it a try and see how he does....

Oh! I have a question about that too..

I have both a powerhead under gravel filter and an on the back filter..

The powerhead is rated at 175gph
The filter is rated at 100gph

My tank is only 20 gallons so 100gph is what's best right?

I only have one Cory cat in it right now
The powerhead makes a very strong current and the Cory swims up against it and I don't understand why.. When I put just the filter on though he just lays on the bottom..

Also occasionally he goes up to the top like he's getting a breath of air?

Thanks for the help!

Oh! I have a question about that too..

I have both a powerhead under gravel filter and an on the back filter..

The powerhead is rated at 175gph
The filter is rated at 100gph

My tank is only 20 gallons so 100gph is what's best right?

I only have one Cory cat in it right now
The powerhead makes a very strong current and the Cory swims up against it and I don't understand why.. When I put just the filter on though he just lays on the bottom..

Also occasionally he goes up to the top like he's getting a breath of air?

Thanks for the help!

Its been a long time since a ran a UG filter so Not sure I can answer that...but I would say good. Your betta might not like it though, their natural homes have no current to speak, so he might not like it. Yes my cories do all the same....freak out and swim in the current, hit the top for air, and generally act weird, but they are healthy and happy.

That's strange... It just seems like he's sick or something.. I don't know

Back
Top Bottom