Betta info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman94

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are the any fish that I can keep with a betta?

If u could post a pic of the fish u recommend that would be good.

I am going to put bristlenose's with it.

It depends on the bettas personality. Some hate tank mates others tolerate them. You want nothing that nips like barbs and nothing that looks like another Betta like fancy guppies.

What size tank is this for?

I agree with Mumma. It depends on the betta anmd the tank size. Your bristle-noses should be fine though since they have armor.

I actually got about 15g when I did the math. Due to the longer dimensions, I think a bnp might be ok, but its still a bit iffy IMO.

absolutangel04 said:
I actually got about 15g when I did the math. Due to the longer dimensions, I think a bnp might be ok, but its still a bit iffy IMO.

Oops my bad! That's what happens when I convert to cm then to L then to gallons. Lol.
I still think its too small for a BNP. I have a 17g (slightly higher but same foot print) and I wouldn't keep a BNP over 2 inches in there.

Well I have learnt the lesson of putting my Betta with other fish he seemed to have killed a couple at the beginning and hasn't killed in months however, he does make the other fishes life ****, constant chasing and flaring and he even hides the pitbull pleco's sinking pellet - into his own hollow log hide, so the pitbull daren't go and get it.

I will soon be getting a 30+ gallon tank and moving my 4 embers and 1 Pitbull Pleco into it (will purchase more tetras and Pitbull once in bigger tank). So then Lemmy (betta) will only share the tank with some assassin snails and thats it.

So basically my point is they may be able to live together but will it be a stress free life... just depends on your luck with the Betta's temperament, Bettas do like to be by themselves.

The best advice has already been given, the personality makes or brakes any betta commuity set up

I have however kept betta with otocinclus in the past, and ive also heard of many other combinations...

If you do try to add a friend make sure you have a plan to evacuate either one and house it comfortably or maKe arrangements or rehoming, it's all kinda balancing on if you have a chilled betta or not, GOOD LUCK!!

Here's a giant cool story, but i've kept bettas now in pretty much every way.
It really is true when people say that it is dependent on the betta, with both males and females. It's a good idea to put your tank in a place where you can glance over often and check on how they're doing with the fish.
Generally if they are nippy, or chasing other fish around on a regular basis then it isn't a good fit for either. Bettas enjoy patrolling community tanks just as they do their own, but if they do it too much they will become exhausted and will be weakened to community diseases.

It helps if you stock around your betta, try to layer your tank with the idea that your betta is the king of the castle.
Give him an area at the top of the tank that's sheltered, floating plants are nice here because they do enjoy beaching themselves, just secure your lid, as well as an area at the bottom of the tank to hide. I like making a plant/rock line 3/4th back into the tank, which makes a really good patrol easy/safe/stress free area for your betta. Avoid sharp decorations and NO plastic plants. None. Absolutely not one. Silk or real only.
There are plenty of low light plants that do fine with very little, and really do help the water quality if you maintenance them at least once a week. Also low light aquatic plants are a cinch compared to terrestrial.

As far as possible tank mates go with willing bettas,
1)smaller cory species that do not seem to bother bettas, I've even had luck with them and more aggressive specimens.
2)African dwarf frogs make good tank mates, but finding healthy stock is really hard, so before you pick them up make sure to look up their common illnesses because they are rampant in these little guys.
No african clawed frogs ofcourse.
3) Cherry barbs have done surprisingly well with my bettas, in a 15 G, you could keep one male with a harem of 3-4 girls which is actually surprisingly colorful. Males deepen to a dark red, which do not seem to cause aggression from any bettas I've kept them with, and girls are orange and gold striped with dark brown and the cutest lip stick!
4) Live bearers are a toss up with bettas, I think they make tanks too messy and trash water quality, just be careful with guppies as they do tend to be aggressive towards them, though I've had a few bettas that really couldn't care less.
5) Neons- Black neons tend to have less issues than the red and blues.
6) Danios- Work IF IF IF You give them a proper school. If not there will be either one, or a few odd men out that will pick at the betta and make him very grouchy.
7) Hatchets- if you keep a tight lid on your tank, and invest in a spray bar to agitate only the surface current it can work, but I find that it keeps bettas hanging towards the bottom of the tank, which they really don't seem to enjoy.
8) Smaller loaches- actually make a pretty amusing tank, the key here is hiding places and water quality. with a 15 gallon I would hesitate, but it might be possible to put 4 queen loaches in there, with just a betta and plenty of hiding. I'd look for adult specimens that are on the small side. Research into the loach type carefully, as they vary from 2-3 inches, to 1-2 feet.
9) You could do an all female tank, with no male betta at all as a 15 G is way too small to attempt a harem tank. They look really dull in the store, but they really do brighten up beautifully, especially together. The key here is to add them all at one time, and monitor carefully as they establish a pecking order.
10) You can also either purchase, or make a divider by cutting up one for a larger tank, and house two male bettas. With this set up I always suggest two small internal/hob filters on either side with sponge over the intakes, and any gaps that might lead inside the filter. If you have an issue with current still, I just pop bits of sponge into the filter behind/infront of the media, works just fine. Hot glue guns are also handy for this if you want it to look clean, and i've never had an issue with using it in the aquarium.

Bad tank mates that seem good
1)Ghost shrimp are betta food, have never had luck with keeping the two together.
If you had a larger tank bamboo shrimp would be an option but it will most likely starve in smaller tanks, I've had no luck keeping them red in tanks under 30 gallons personally.
2) Ghost catfish- need too high of a current to ever live happily with a betta
3) Molly- Really should be kept as brackish, messy messy messy fish!
4) Otos- Really need more than a 15g to have adequate food without it being a pain, also a higher current, and are best kept in schools.
5) Any gourami- Both fish tend to be very aggressive towards each other, and if you house two together peacefully, its because they both are generally peaceful exceptions-- not something to ever bank on, and with these combinations it is rarely fruitful.

I could go on and on about the combinations, so if you have any questions unaddressed, I might be able to help you.

im not trying to high jack or anything but would the glofish they have now work or do they trigger bettas like guppys or neons do

Usually, its the finnage/color combo of guppies that sets off bettas more than just the color. I actually haven't heard of bettas specificly targeting neons. It wouldn't surprise me to hear it had happened before though. Some bettas don't like fast-moving fish and will get nasty with them. But, that very much depends on the individual personality of the betta. I persnally think glofish and a betta is worth trying and has a good chance of working. But, you never know with bettas. :)

My betta is best friends with my albino bristlenose pleco.

374803_10150711490258849_744108848_12417837_1937794502_n.jpg

I also have some african dwarf frogs in the tank with him and he doesn't seem to mind.

You could also place about ten bumblebee goby's in the tank. My Betta doesn't even realize mine is there. They only grow to about 4cm in size and with their extra suction foot can just hang around. Just bear in mind they eat only live food. But mine will eat frozen no problem. I have a pic of my goby in the new acquisition thread.

I guess I got lucky with my betta--he gets along just fine with the ghost shrimp and cherry shrimp, the mystery snail, and the peppered corys. He shares food with all of them--algae wafers and sinking shrimp pellets :rolleyes: The only one I've seen anything with is the Black neon tetra in there with him, and that's an occasional "chase around the bonsai tree and give up after four seconds", so I suspect he's just messing with him. Going to keep an eye on him when the corys and black neon get moved to the big tank--if he's decided he likes tank mates and seems like he's getting depressed, may see about adding an African Dwarf Frog or a few Pygmy corys (or both! *lol*).

Back
Top Bottom