Betta is breathing too fast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

petra

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I'm new here and I have problem with my new baby betta fish. I had grown betta before but never a baby (he's about 6 mouths old) The tank is cycled and the parameters were fine when I checked. I got him three days ago and he is doing glass surfing a lot. I have read here that is normal but the problem is his fast breathing. He opens gills very fast and I'm worried about it. Right now I don't have filter because it stopped working few days ago. Can this be a symptom of illness? I'm very worried so I hope that you'll help me. Sorry for my bad english.

I change 25-30% of water every day. My friend told me that the fast breathing can be caused by glass surfing. Any opinion?

You are using water conditioner to take care of chlorine chloramines in the water for the pwc/partial water changes? Temperature matching the water for the changes?

Knowing water parameters right now would be important.

I would put him in a container with half his water and 1/4 brand new water (conditioned /dechlorinated always for a fish even if it is not stated.)

change the water in the tank 100% minus the amount for the container

add more new water to the betta cup till full empty half the water so you will be at 1/2 then add 1/4 in about edit: 10 min, then 1/4 another 10-20 min.

Then add the fish all the water to the tank and see how he is behaving.

Save a cup of water from the fish tank right now to have checked (don't waste time now to check) just start with clean water, or to be tested later so you can compare the 2

Also if your media from your old filter is still wet keep it in the original tap water to help keep the beneficial bacteria/ BB viable and get a new filter and use the old filter pad to start it. You usually can use 2 pads in one filter.

You are using water conditioner to take care of chlorine chloramines in the water for the pwc/partial water changes? Temperature matching the water for the changes?

Knowing water parameters right now would be important.

I would put him in a container with half his water and 1/4 brand new water (conditioned /dechlorinated always for a fish even if it is not stated.)

change the water in the tank 100% minus the amount for the container

add more new water to the betta cup till full empty half the water so you will be at 1/2 then add 1/4 in about edit: 10 min, then 1/4 another 10-20 min.

Then add the fish all the water to the tank and see how he is behaving.

Save a cup of water from the fish tank right now to have checked (don't waste time now to check) just start with clean water, or to be tested later so you can compare the 2

Also if your media from your old filter is still wet keep it in the original tap water to help keep the beneficial bacteria/ BB viable and get a new filter and use the old filter pad to start it. You usually can use 2 pads in one filter.
Thank you for the answer. Yes, I use conditioner and the temperature is the same every time. I'll do how you said.

When a filter breaks it can really ruin a tank water quality. I know from experience, I am dealing with that right now. :)

At least starting with good clean water can help a fish get better on its own if a little something is starting up.

Then if things progress worse you can at least know the water is good!

And keep changing it as you have until you can know that the new filter is cycled and working like it should for the BB to take care of the poop and food waste.

Then just routine weekly pwc, or more if feeding say Brine shrimp or worms.

When a filter breaks it can really ruin a tank water quality. I know from experience, I am dealing with that right now. :)

At least starting with good clean water can help a fish get better on its own if a little something is starting up.

Then if things progress worse you can at least know the water is good!

And keep changing it as you have until you can know that the new filter is cycled and working like it should for the BB to take care of the poop and food waste.

Then just routine weekly pwc, or more if feeding say Brine shrimp or worms.
Thank you very much :)

Back
Top Bottom