Betta resting against filter intake - normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnoob

Aquarium Advice Regular
Good afternoon, all.

I was finally able to stock my tank (yay!) after two months of cycling, and I got a betta. My tank is a 5 gal fluval spec v, and I have noticed that my betta deliberately rests against the filter intake valve. At first, I thought he was getting stuck to it/sucked in, so I pulled the sponge up and put some aquarium batting in front of the sponge to hold it there/block the suction even more. In addition, I have the fluval pre filter sponge on the pump's output to baffle the flow of water on the other side.

The betta will very deliberately swim up to the intake, and place himself against it. He isn't getting pulled, because I've seen him swim back and forth in front of it with ease several times on his circuits of exploration. I kept checking because I thought he was dead/stuck, but if I'd lift the light off to lift up the top and help him, and he'd just swim away like it was nothing and he was mad that I dared disturb him... So, for whatever reason, he has decided that napping against the intake feels awesome and does it ON PURPOSE. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to discourage him from doing it? I don't want him to rip his fins.

Mine do that, too. They just seem to like resting against the filter, actually.
You could put foam over it.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is actually pretty normal. Bettas love resting on things. If you have ever seen those little suction cup bettas leaf hommocks, that is how much bettas like to rest on things. :)
When you can see that he is swimming well, and is acting normally, I don't believe this is anything to be concerned about.

This is actually pretty normal. Bettas love resting on things. If you have ever seen those little suction cup bettas leaf hommocks, that is how much bettas like to rest on things. :)
When you can see that he is swimming well, and is acting normally, I don't believe this is anything to be concerned about.

I am glad it is okay! I have noticed him resting against things, he particularly likes the filter intake, the heater, and he likes to lodge himself in my water wisteria (they're free floating) and ride them around like he's on a lazy river. This fish is insane. But extremely entertaining..xD!

My bettas have tended to enjoy floating plants, or large, heavy plants they can chill in. Mine have liked to sit on caves and decor too.

Back
Top Bottom