Betta Sorority.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Or soaking in garlic juice, I've heard that works wonders. I have a brand of pellets right now that I typically do not buy, I have one female that can't eat them so she is getting flakes on pellet days. The ones I have now are too big and hard..and she doesn't want them once they are water logged. Make sure you are trying a small pellet like hikari.

Well, if it works, then it works. I wasn't try to knock you. Some fish are just set in their ways.

Anyway, I've found that the Hikari pellets are the favorite among my males. I was using Aqueon pellets, but I think I will just have to completely switch over to Hikari, even if it is eight bucks for a little pouch.

Hey you can get them way cheaper online. If you need to order other stuff anyway (so that you get free shipping), from a site like allpet.com or fosterandsmithaquatics.com you can pay half the price as your local petco type place :)

Ah I see. I can't find most of the food I need for my aquatic pets locally so I have no choice.

Oh that sucks. I'm sorry. I have like ten chain shops and five local shops around me. I have too many options, haha. Gives me the worst case of MTS-craving.

Oh my gosh are you serious?! I couldn't handle myself. Seriously. I have like 15 tanks already and all I even have is one Petco and one m&p lfs.

so how many does it take to make it a "Sorority". And how would one go about breeding them?..just toss the male into the tank with all the females or pick a female at random to put in with the male?

I wouldn't try a sorority with any less than 5. You definitely would not toss a male in..he'd never make it back out. Mating them is quite a process, but when you have a female ready to breed (she will show vertical stripes on her sides, not to be confused with the horizontal lines she will show when stressed) you would put her in a breeding tank with the male. Close observation is required and the female must be removed right away when the deed is done. Even then, things may get violent. I believe the male then cares for the eggs until they hatch. I've never done it, don't have the nerves for it!

siva said:
I wouldn't try a sorority with any less than 5. You definitely would not toss a male in..he'd never make it back out. Mating them is quite a process, but when you have a female ready to breed (she will show vertical stripes on her sides, not to be confused with the horizontal lines she will show when stressed) you would put her in a breeding tank with the male. Close observation is required and the female must be removed right away when the deed is done. Even then, things may get violent. I believe the male then cares for the eggs until they hatch. I've never done it, don't have the nerves for it!

Yes, the male cares for them until they become free swimming, then he may see his little darlings as little snacks.

I may have to try it...we have a male that my son just had to have... Can't wait until i have "my" tank back up and running

Demonknight said:
I may have to try it...we have a male that my son just had to have... Can't wait until i have "my" tank back up and running

I would suggest Bettatalk.com for breeding info. It really is a very intense process and you have to be very careful. The female is as likely to kill the male as the male is to kill the female.

Plus you can have 100+ fry that will require daily water changes, special foods, and the ability to keep each individual fish separate until they are sexed. It's a very costly thing to do.

Good point! Often you can keep the females together, but you must have a seperate space for each male of course. I'd fall in love with all those little betta babes and wouldn't be able to give them up ;)

falling in love with them wouldn't be an issue for me, kid might until i make him do all the water changes.

As above said, the whole breeding process is complicated and even if you breed two good bettas, a good percentage aren't even worth selling. So, you're stuck with tons of bettas that you will have to give for free if you can find homes for them. It leaves you with very little options. I'm letting my boyfriend handle all of this because I'm too scared of any of my adults getting hurt and I don;t want to have to weed out the "prettiest". To me, every betta is pretty.

Hows it going with your sorority? My girls have started going at it..I'm going to have to seperate them. I added another tall plant and a bunch of floating plants...I mean it's a freakin' jungle in there...they are still fighting. :(

Back
Top Bottom