Betta Splendens Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bettafanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Submitted by Bettafanatic

Common name: betta fish, siamese fighting fish

Scientific name: betta splendens

Category: Species (ie: Cichlid)

Family: Osphronemidae

Origin: Southeast Asia

Main Ecosystem: Rice paddies

Salinity: Freshwater

Temperment: Semi-aggressive. They will be very aggressive with other bettas and fish that look and act like bettas, such as labyrinth fish, fish with long flowing fins, or fish with bright colors. They will leave alone most community fish, such as tetras and catfish. It really depends on the individual betta. Some will accept all other fish and others will refuse to have anything alive in his territory.

Diet: Carnivore

Care: Bettas are easy fish to care for. They're good beginner fish and, although it's not ideal, can survive in smaller aquariums

Housing: Betta fish need aquariums of five gallons or more. Although they can survive in tiny half-gallon bowls, let me stress that they will only survive, not thrive.

Feeding: Bettas are carnivores so their diets need lots of protein. They will appreciate a diet of a mixture of different foods. They will accept flake food, pellet food, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and other meaty foods.

pH: 6.5-7.5, but prefer a neutral pH

Temperature: The optimal range is 74-78 F, but going down to 72 F or up to 80 F will not harm them.

Hardness: Less than 100 mg/L

Potential size: Up to three inches, but I've noticed that their size usually depends on the size of their aquariums. I had a friend who kept her betta in a 1/2 gallon tank and he was only 1 inch, but when she moved and I placed him in better conditions, he gained another inch.

Water Region: Bettas are mainly top-dwellers, but will swim all over the tank.

Activity: Diurnal. They will usually sleep hovering in the water.

Lifespan: Under optimal conditions, bettas usually live 3-5 years, but there are stories of bettas living up to 7 years old.

Color: Pick any color under the sun. You'll find a betta with that color. Common colors are red, blue, and pink

Mouth: Upturned, will feed from the surface

Sexing: Bettas are extremely easy to sex. Males will have long, flowing fins and brighter colors while females are usually duller and have short fins like a plakat betta. Females can be housed together (although it depends on the individual fish) but male bettas are much more territorial with each other.

Acclimation: Place the bag in the aquarium and let if float for fifteen minutes to adjust the betta to the aquarium's temperature. Open the bag and pour in a half cup of aquarium water into the bag every ten minutes for an hour. Once finished, catch the betta in a net and place him in the tank. Drip-acclimating isn't necessary.

Breeding: Breeding bettas can be lots of fun and a great experience, as long as you have enough room to house a lot of male bettas and aggressive females separately. It's best to have a place for the bettas to go before breeding. Usually the harder part is raising the fry. Getting a pair to breed is pretty easy.

Spawning: Set up a fry aquarium. Make sure it's heavily planted to give the female places to hide. Java fern is a good plant to have in the fry tank. Place a divider in the center of the aquarium. A sponge filter and low water movement are a must.

First choose your bettas. Make sure they are healthy and strong. Condition them for breeding by feeding live or frozen foods such as shrimp or daphnia. When the time for breeding comes, place the bettas into the tank, one on each side of the divider. Wait a few days for them to get used to each other. When they are ready to breed, the male will flare a lot and act aggressively. He will also have built a bubble nest. Providing a cup cut in half floating on the surface will encourage the male to build the bubble nest under the cup. The female will develop vertical bars on her body (they are usually difficult to see in lighter colored fish). Remove the divider so they can breed.

The male will usually chase the female and act aggressively towards her. Make sure there are lots of plants for her to hide in. The male will swim under the bubble nest and, when she is ready to breed, the female will approach the male with her head tilted down.

To spawn, the male will wrap himself around the female and "hug" the eggs out of her. Once all the eggs are out, remove the female. Make sure to have another tank with clean water for her to recover in. The male will scoop the eggs into his mouth and place them in the bubble nest.

Raising the Fry:

Once the eggs hatch, they will remain in the bubble nest until they can swim. Once they start free swimming, remove the male at this time. He will try to keep the fry in the bubble nest or even eat the fry.

Feed the fry crushed flakes, baby brine shrimp, or microworms. Perform water changes every other day to make sure the water stays clean, and vacuum any uneaten food from the bottom. Having a bare-bottom tank will make it easier to clean any debris.

Once the fry start to develop color and long fins, the males will become aggressive with each other. Separate the males at this time. In some situations, a male won't act aggressive to his sisters because he knows they are his siblings.

Comments: I have been keeping betta fish for years now. They are wonderful fish and my favorite aquarium fish! I have learned so much about fish through keeping them. Each one has their own personality. For example, my betta Martin is a very aggressive boy who always thinks he's the boss. He really intimidates my other betta, Sayir. He even attacks my hand whenever I place it in the tank! However, Waffle, my halfmoon plakat, is the exact opposite. He's a calm and docile fish. He loves the company of snails and loves to watch them eat algae and crawl around. He hardly ever flares but when he does it's beautiful. He's pretty shy and loves to relax. Every betta I've ever had has been different and they are a wonderful fish to keep as long as you understand their requirements.

Hope you liked my profile!

Great profile. IMO 74 is too cold for a betta and 80 is the optimal temp. Personally I would never keep them under 78. IME your bettas will live a longer healtheir life if you keep the water temps higher, closer to their native waters. :)

Great profile. IMO 74 is too cold for a betta and 80 is the optimal temp. Personally I would never keep them under 78. IME your bettas will live a longer healtheir life if you keep the water temps higher, closer to their native waters. :)

Thank you for your input. I usually keep my bettas at 80. It's great to hear some more opinions.

I keep mine at the 78 mark that way I have a few degrees to work with if they happen to fall ill and needed warmer waters. In the summer I don't need the heater at all but have started sing it now as it can get cooler at night.

Can I add my breeding knowledge? ;) BETTA BREEDING
Okay here's the deal with bettas, they can be deadly when breeding!
For breeding bettas here's what I would do:
Find a male and female fighters and supplement their diet with freeze dried and live foods for a few weeks. Get a 10 gallon tank And put a divider in it. Let them see each other. I used to use margarine lids to support the bubble nests. Heavily plant both sides of the tank, and hopefully the male will start to build the bubble nest. When all is ready remove the divider and let the begin to get to know each other . When the male is comfortable with the female he may invite her under is bubble nest. Be warned that they will fight and sometimes it can be fatal. He will begin to wrap himself around the female and ' quiver' . She will release the female and she will, fall to the bottom for a bit, then she'll go back for more. This can happen about 7 times depending on how old the pair are. He will collect the eggs and put them in the bubble nest. This is why you don't want any substrate as it will make it easier for the male to collect the eggs. After spawning the male will chase the female off and he will be protective of the nest. At this stage you should remove the female. Leave the male until the fry are free swimming. You will need an additional 2-3 gallon jars for the male fry and the females can stay in a 10-20 gallon tank. Don't keep the parents in the same tank as the fry. These fish can proberly lay from 50-400 eggs per spawn.

Can I add my breeding knowledge? ;) BETTA BREEDING
Okay here's the deal with bettas, they can be deadly when breeding!
For breeding bettas here's what I would do:
Find a male and female fighters and supplement their diet with freeze dried and live foods for a few weeks. Get a 10 gallon tank And put a divider in it. Let them see each other. I used to use margarine lids to support the bubble nests. Heavily plant both sides of the tank, and hopefully the male will start to build the bubble nest. When all is ready remove the divider and let the begin to get to know each other . When the male is comfortable with the female he may invite her under is bubble nest. Be warned that they will fight and sometimes it can be fatal. He will begin to wrap himself around the female and ' quiver' . She will release the female and she will, fall to the bottom for a bit, then she'll go back for more. This can happen about 7 times depending on how old the pair are. He will collect the eggs and put them in the bubble nest. This is why you don't want any substrate as it will make it easier for the male to collect the eggs. After spawning the male will chase the female off and he will be protective of the nest. At this stage you should remove the female. Leave the male until the fry are free swimming. You will need an additional 2-3 gallon jars for the male fry and the females can stay in a 10-20 gallon tank. Don't keep the parents in the same tank as the fry. These fish can proberly lay from 50-400 eggs per spawn.

Thank you for your input. I haven't researched about breeding in a long time so it's good to get second opinions and more knowledge. :thanks:

Great profile :)

Submitted by Bettafanatic

Common name: betta fish, siamese fighting fish

Scientific name: betta splendens

Category: Species (ie: Cichlid)

Family: Osphronemidae

Origin: Southeast Asia

Main Ecosystem: Rice paddies

Salinity: Freshwater

Temperment: Semi-aggressive. They will be very aggressive with other bettas and fish that look and act like bettas, such as labyrinth fish, fish with long flowing fins, or fish with bright colors. They will leave alone most community fish, such as tetras and catfish. It really depends on the individual betta. Some will accept all other fish and others will refuse to have anything alive in his territory.

Diet: Carnivore

Care: Bettas are easy fish to care for. They're good beginner fish and, although it's not ideal, can survive in smaller aquariums

Housing: Betta fish need aquariums of five gallons or more. Although they can survive in tiny half-gallon bowls, let me stress that they will only survive, not thrive.

Feeding: Bettas are carnivores so their diets need lots of protein. They will appreciate a diet of a mixture of different foods. They will accept flake food, pellet food, bloodworms, brine shrimp, and other meaty foods.

pH: 6.5-7.5, but prefer a neutral pH

Temperature: The optimal range is 74-78 F, but going down to 72 F or up to 80 F will not harm them.

Hardness: Less than 100 mg/L

Potential size: Up to three inches, but I've noticed that their size usually depends on the size of their aquariums. I had a friend who kept her betta in a 1/2 gallon tank and he was only 1 inch, but when she moved and I placed him in better conditions, he gained another inch.

Water Region: Bettas are mainly top-dwellers, but will swim all over the tank.

Activity: Diurnal. They will usually sleep hovering in the water.

Lifespan: Under optimal conditions, bettas usually live 3-5 years, but there are stories of bettas living up to 7 years old.

Color: Pick any color under the sun. You'll find a betta with that color. Common colors are red, blue, and pink

Mouth: Upturned, will feed from the surface

Sexing: Bettas are extremely easy to sex. Males will have long, flowing fins and brighter colors while females are usually duller and have short fins like a plakat betta. Females can be housed together (although it depends on the individual fish) but male bettas are much more territorial with each other.

Acclimation: Place the bag in the aquarium and let if float for fifteen minutes to adjust the betta to the aquarium's temperature. Open the bag and pour in a half cup of aquarium water into the bag every ten minutes for an hour. Once finished, catch the betta in a net and place him in the tank. Drip-acclimating isn't necessary.

Breeding: Breeding bettas can be lots of fun and a great experience, as long as you have enough room to house a lot of male bettas and aggressive females separately. It's best to have a place for the bettas to go before breeding. Usually the harder part is raising the fry. Getting a pair to breed is pretty easy.

Spawning: Set up a fry aquarium. Make sure it's heavily planted to give the female places to hide. Java fern is a good plant to have in the fry tank. Place a divider in the center of the aquarium. A sponge filter and low water movement are a must.

First choose your bettas. Make sure they are healthy and strong. Condition them for breeding by feeding live or frozen foods such as shrimp or daphnia. When the time for breeding comes, place the bettas into the tank, one on each side of the divider. Wait a few days for them to get used to each other. When they are ready to breed, the male will flare a lot and act aggressively. He will also have built a bubble nest. Providing a cup cut in half floating on the surface will encourage the male to build the bubble nest under the cup. The female will develop vertical bars on her body (they are usually difficult to see in lighter colored fish). Remove the divider so they can breed.

The male will usually chase the female and act aggressively towards her. Make sure there are lots of plants for her to hide in. The male will swim under the bubble nest and, when she is ready to breed, the female will approach the male with her head tilted down.

To spawn, the male will wrap himself around the female and "hug" the eggs out of her. Once all the eggs are out, remove the female. Make sure to have another tank with clean water for her to recover in. The male will scoop the eggs into his mouth and place them in the bubble nest.

Raising the Fry:

Once the eggs hatch, they will remain in the bubble nest until they can swim. Once they start free swimming, remove the male at this time. He will try to keep the fry in the bubble nest or even eat the fry.

Feed the fry crushed flakes, baby brine shrimp, or microworms. Perform water changes every other day to make sure the water stays clean, and vacuum any uneaten food from the bottom. Having a bare-bottom tank will make it easier to clean any debris.

Once the fry start to develop color and long fins, the males will become aggressive with each other. Separate the males at this time. In some situations, a male won't act aggressive to his sisters because he knows they are his siblings.

Comments: I have been keeping betta fish for years now. They are wonderful fish and my favorite aquarium fish! I have learned so much about fish through keeping them. Each one has their own personality. For example, my betta Martin is a very aggressive boy who always thinks he's the boss. He really intimidates my other betta, Sayir. He even attacks my hand whenever I place it in the tank! However, Waffle, my halfmoon plakat, is the exact opposite. He's a calm and docile fish. He loves the company of snails and loves to watch them eat algae and crawl around. He hardly ever flares but when he does it's beautiful. He's pretty shy and loves to relax. Every betta I've ever had has been different and they are a wonderful fish to keep as long as you understand their requirements.

Hope you liked my profile!
brilliant info thanks:),im not a beginner in fishkeeping,but i am in getting a Betta which i hope to get soon for 1st time so this was a great read for me thank you :),im on preparing a 10 gallon with lots of real plants,rocks,mopani wood and sand,i went for a nature look,i will be ready soon so looking forward to getting a male Crowntail,ive found a fantastic place that have really healthy ones,im from UK, he puts videos of his fish on youtube and they are so nice and he keeps them im good size individual filtered tanks so all shpuld be good i hope,wish me luck with my 1st ever Betta thanks !!!!!
As i have been researching these beautiful fish i have fallen in love with them i wished i got one ages ago !!!!

brilliant info thanks:),im not a beginner in fishkeeping,but i am in getting a Betta which i hope to get soon for 1st time so this was a great read for me thank you :),im on preparing a 10 gallon with lots of real plants,rocks,mopani wood and sand,i went for a nature look,i will be ready soon so looking forward to getting a male Crowntail,ive found a fantastic place that have really healthy ones,im from UK, he puts videos of his fish on youtube and they are so nice and he keeps them im good size individual filtered tanks so all shpuld be good i hope,wish me luck with my 1st ever Betta thanks !!!!!
As i have been researching these beautiful fish i have fallen in love with them i wished i got one ages ago !!!!

Glad you're plunging into the betta fish world! You won't be disappointed. They are fantastic fish. Each have such individual personalities. I've never kept two that are the same in any way. Enjoy your new betta! He'll love his 10 gallon.

Awwww thanks,im sure i will enjoy him,i have one cory in there left over from some other fish i had and ive had him 2 + half year,hope he be ok with him,ive just had to recycle,cos had a mini cycle and i lost some Cory Habrosus but its nearly done,but i want to make sure its 100% done before i get him.
Here is my tank :

ForumRunner_20121117_182810.jpg

Beautiful tank! The betta will love that. The more interesting the tank is, the happier the betta will be. They love to explore. I especially love the rocks in the front.

The betta and the cory should be fine. I would get a school of cories because they prefer to have friends. The betta will tolerate them fine. Just remember that every betta is different, and some will allow other fish to live with them and others won't. If the betta likes the cory, you can get more and they'd be a good cleanup crew. Good luck with your fish!

Bettafanatic said:
Beautiful tank! The betta will love that. The more interesting the tank is, the happier the betta will be. They love to explore. I especially love the rocks in the front.

The betta and the cory should be fine. I would get a school of cories because they prefer to have friends. The betta will tolerate them fine. Just remember that every betta is different, and some will allow other fish to live with them and others won't. If the betta likes the cory, you can get more and they'd be a good cleanup crew. Good luck with your fish!

Thank you,im glad you approve of my tank,yeah i had 6 cory habrosus,but then i lost them my fault i added too many top quickly,i learnt hard way,i really loved the habrosus,way back i had 3 julii and the one i have now outlived the others,but then i changed cory species as i love them little guys,but also added some endlers and long story short i tipped tank over too much,but i learn dearly from my mistakes,so funny you should say that but i was going to wait see how he gets on with my Julii,then if he does i will get a few of them little guys :) thanks once again for your advice !!!!

hello again x

Hi thanks again for your help with me getting a Betta,my tank had re-cycled, as i had previously had a mini cycle,all was good with water parameters last week, zero ammonia and nitrite and 5.0 nitrate which has now changed to 0. but at beginning of this week i have a small ammonia spike 0.25 and i don't know why as i had 3 tests which were spot on !!!
so can't get my Betta at moment :(.

Also can i ask if you do not mind, my PH is 6, is this too low for a Betta,ive read they adapt ok to 6-8 Ph,ive always had low ph regions and previously ive used API ph up but it rarely lasts, i asked on general forums and Rivercats suggested crushed coral in a nylon bag, just a small bad my tapwater Ph is 7 neutral and i do a water change once a week normally but ive had to do 3 last few days to try and deal with this mysterious ammonia spike.

i appreciate any advice you can give as i want water to be good for him coming into my tank :) thanks :flowers:

Hi thanks again for your help with me getting a Betta,my tank had re-cycled, as i had previously had a mini cycle,all was good with water parameters last week, zero ammonia and nitrite and 5.0 nitrate which has now changed to 0. but at beginning of this week i have a small ammonia spike 0.25 and i don't know why as i had 3 tests which were spot on !!!
so can't get my Betta at moment :(.

Also can i ask if you do not mind, my PH is 6, is this too low for a Betta,ive read they adapt ok to 6-8 Ph,ive always had low ph regions and previously ive used API ph up but it rarely lasts, i asked on general forums and Rivercats suggested crushed coral in a nylon bag, just a small bad my tapwater Ph is 7 neutral and i do a water change once a week normally but ive had to do 3 last few days to try and deal with this mysterious ammonia spike.

i appreciate any advice you can give as i want water to be good for him coming into my tank :) thanks :flowers:

Where bettas come from, the pH usually is that low so he will adjust fine. I've heard that softer water makes their colors look better but I can't confirm it. Usually it's best not to mess with the pH because unless the fish is extremely sensitive it will adjust and bettas are very, very hardy. Maybe the ammonia spike was caused by you dosing a little too much. I don't know how much you add. As soon as it goes away and if ammo and nitrites stay at zero then it should be fine to get him.

Where bettas come from, the pH usually is that low so he will adjust fine. I've heard that softer water makes their colors look better but I can't confirm it. Usually it's best not to mess with the pH because unless the fish is extremely sensitive it will adjust and bettas are very, very hardy. Maybe the ammonia spike was caused by you dosing a little too much. I don't know how much you add. As soon as it goes away and if ammo and nitrites stay at zero then it should be fine to get him.

Thanks for the advice,Rivercats told me something else though i never thought of the low PH is not good for my BB,so he said just to add a small amount of crushed coral to maybe get it stable around 6.4/6.6 something like that,still kinda slightly acidic what Bettas are ok with,so im going give that a go,it re-cycled great so im not sure why the spike ??

Oh yeah forgot about the BB. Yeah go with what Rivercats said and add a little crushed coral. Try to raise it only a little because bettas like softer water. If the tank is fully cycled now, remember to keep dosing ammonia daily or add some other fish or invertebrate as an ammonia source so your BB doesn't die. I've heard that BB will die in 24 hours without ammonia.

Oh yeah forgot about the BB. Yeah go with what Rivercats said and add a little crushed coral. Try to raise it only a little because bettas like softer water. If the tank is fully cycled now, remember to keep dosing ammonia daily or add some other fish or invertebrate as an ammonia source so your BB doesn't die. I've heard that BB will die in 24 hours without ammonia.

Yeah he said about 6.6 6.8 i know they like soft water,im in a soft water area.
I have a cory in there,cos its not a 1st cycle,i did fishless at beginning,im recovering from a mini cycle as i added too many new fish and i sadly lost them,my.cory is left from my.1st batch of fish,ive had him 2 n half yrs.
Ive just added a v.small amount of crushed coral today as it just came today,Rivercats said it could help with ammonia spike which happened after 3 clear API tests,im cycled aprt from the spike and PH.
It will be probably after xmas now ill get my.Crowntail Betta,i want water spot on for him :)

Sounds great. If I can make a suggestion, get more cories so your Cory wont be lonely before the Betta. The Betta is more likely to accept them if they were there first than if they come after he did. It depends on the individual Betta but whether he accepts them or not could come down to that.

Sounds great. If I can make a suggestion, get more cories so your Cory wont be lonely before the Betta. The Betta is more likely to accept them if they were there first than if they come after he did. It depends on the individual Betta but whether he accepts them or not could come down to that.

Ok hun,i think you said before about if i got betta 1st to see how he got on with cory that i have got before adding any more cory's mmmm dilemma :-/

Back
Top Bottom