Betta tankmates in 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquairmercury

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I currently have a planted 5 gallon (fluval chi) with a filter and heater. I will not be upgrading this tank because I do not have room for a larger one. At the moment I have a male betta, 2 African dwarf frogs, and 2 blue shrimp in the tank.

At first the betta nipped and attacked the frogs, but after I upgraded the heater and added some more hiding places, I have not seen any bickering. However, I cannot say that the frogs are too happy as they are always hiding and do not sing as they used to. I am considering taking out one or both of the frogs, and would like to add some other tankmates instead.

Because the tank is taller than it is wide, I would like to add fish that are not strict bottom dwellers. I would also like to try again with the shrimp.

My top choices right now are the pygmy corys (3 or 4 of them) and amano shrimp (maybe 5?). Would this combination work?

What fish are good for a 5 gallon with a betta and how many of them? Also, what shrimp work best with betta fish?

(here are the dimensions of the tank for reference: 10" L X 10" W X 12" H )

Do you know how your beta gets along with other fish? Some betas don't seem to mind other smaller fish and some hate them. I have a beta who doesn't mind other fish at all since he was housed in the guppy tank at the store, and so I have him with 2 endlers in a 4g. Some people might say it's overstocked, but they are soo tiny.

I keep Bettas in bowls all over the house and in a couple of my bigger tanks (55 gal). Each Betta has it's own "unique" personality in my opinion. However, to try to answer your question, I'll say this: the bigger the tank, the less Bettas seem to harass other fish. The smaller the tank, the more opt they are to attack other fish. Again, every Betta is different, but I have lost a lot of beloved fish in tanks 10 gallons and smaller.

Personally I would not keep much more than a single snail in with a betta in a 5 gallon. It's too small.

It just depends on the beta, and the size of the frog as well. I tried putting a African dwarf in with my beta an it almost ate the darn thing. So it's really subjective to the temper of the fish. Mine was pretty well tempered.... Till that incident. Lol Maybe try a snail, if you have a filter the snail an the beta will be happy :) (snail I'll also live longer)

Back
Top Bottom