Betta tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jrskater1999

Aquarium Advice Freak
So since i am on a tight budget i am considering getting a non-filtered betta tank. So to clean it would i just do a %10-%25 water change or would i completely empty it and scrub it down?
Thanks?

I would suggest getting a 5 gallon with a sponge filter. It is cheap and effective.

Ya thats what i was thinking but i found a 2 gallon unfiltered for $12.00

2 gallons is pushing it. I would definitely recommend sticking with 5 or more gallons with a small heater and filter. If there is no way you can get a 5; 2 gallons is better than most people do.

This one person i knew had one in a 1/2 gallon bowl and it lived for like 5 years

oh it can live in a tiny cup, but it won't be a happy fish. surviving is different than thriving. Betta fishes have the most amazing personalities if they're provided with a suitable home.

Bettas need filtered water and a heater. They prefer temps of 78-82 degrees and if you don't have a filter you have to change out 100% of the water every 2-3 days.

jrskater1999 said:
This one person i knew had one in a 1/2 gallon bowl and it lived for like 5 years

My friend has a full grown Betta in a fish bowl for a long time now. But the poor guy just sits there waiting to be fed.

I have one in a 10g filter, heater, plants... The works he explores all day long,

It's just better they have great personalities give them a tank to show it off!

Plus I really think my 10g would be less work than your 2g unfiltered.

Whatever you do good luck.

Bettas need a heater and in my opinion a filter
They don't live in cow footprints like a lot of people think instead they live in huge rice paddies in the wild
They also need a minimum tank size of five gallons in my opinion
I'm putting one in my 90 gallon so I can enjoy it's beauty and personality

Bettas need a heater and in my opinion a filter
They don't live in cow footprints like a lot of people think instead they live in huge rice paddies in the wild
They also need a minimum tank size of five gallons in my opinion
I'm putting one in my 90 gallon so I can enjoy it's beauty and personality

I've heard of people having problems putting them in big tanks because they have trouble going up and getting air. I've had one of mine in a 10 gallon but he seemed to like the smaller tank to the larger so I moved him back.

Boogety48 said:
I've heard of people having problems putting them in big tanks because they have trouble going up and getting air. I've had one of mine in a 10 gallon but he seemed to like the smaller tank to the larger so I moved him back.

Ya 90g seems too much. Apart from bettas stressing out with alot of fish. Ofcourse this is hear say I've never done it.

Dependzls on the personality of the betta. I tried one in a community and he seemed happy, even built a bubblenest, the only broblem I had is he overate at feeding time. He gorged himself till he was bloated on any morsel of food he could find. In his 5 gallon I can control exactly how much he eats.

I have lots of bettas in community tanks and they are never stressed by the other fish. I don't doubt some have a personality where they would be, but IME that's not the norm. I have never seen any healthy betta have issues surfacing for air.

Walmart sells 10 gallon fish tanks for the same price as the 2g you're looking at. I'd get that and the filter and heater the same day, or within that week. I'd also cycle the tank before adding anything. It's just healthier for the fish that way.

Bettas breathe like any other fish. Their gills are just modified so they can breathe from the surface. I don't see how anyone should have any problem with bettas in larger tanks.

Sachiel said:
Bettas breathe like any other fish. Their gills are just modified so they can breathe from the surface. I don't see how anyone should have any problem with bettas in larger tanks.

They can and need to breath from the surface like any other labyrinth fish.

Even in tanks with high oxygen levels.

Back
Top Bottom