Betta with dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emerald27

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,
My 3 year old make betta has dropsy, I suspected it at first so treated him with some Kanaplex and he recovered for about a week but then the symptoms persisted. He hasn't responded to the meds this second time and now his abdomen is swelling up on top of the pinecone scales he's been slowly exhibiting.
I know he's not going to recover, he just sits on a leaf near the surface and takes big gulps of air now and then, hasn't eaten in over a week, I don't know what to do.
I've looked up humane ways of "euthanizing" fish but it all sounds absolutely terrible but I also don't want him to suffer.
Advice? Thanks.

Hi, checking in on how your fish is doing? It has been a long time but was wondering.

Epsom salt with no additives will sometimes help. Really clean water is very important.

Clove oil is very quick and to me seems the most humane way if you can call it that.

In advance stages of illness where the fish shows pineconing, they don't usually recover. Because of the internal organs failing. Probably no comfort.

If he is passed, I am sorry for your loss. I am hoping you did a search here for more helpful threads and useful information.

Back
Top Bottom