Betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gail

Aquarium Advice Activist
I thought it would be fun to get my 5 year old gs a small tank with a betta. I have 2 tanks, and I'd take care of the small (5 gallon) tank with the betta. He would feed the betta on the weekends (supervised of course). SO off we went to the fish store and picked out a beautiful blue, very friendly betta. (I've only had one other fish that friendly), my gs named the betta Thomas, he's into Thomas the tank engine.

Last night I had to break the news to my gs that his betta passed. I told him Thomas was now in heaven with Jesus. My gs was absolutely inconsolable. My daughter had to take him home, give him a bath and try to explain to him what just happened and why. All he kept saying was "why mom, why." He didn't sleep very well last night and is still sad this morning.

I'm so sad, we could have gotten a replacement fish, but he's smart and would have known right away. Next time I buy him a zebra or molly along with 5 or 6 of the same fish so he doesn't know which one is his.

:fish2:

I thought it would be fun to get my 5 year old gs a small tank with a betta. I have 2 tanks, and I'd take care of the small (5 gallon) tank with the betta. He would feed the betta on the weekends (supervised of course). SO off we went to the fish store and picked out a beautiful blue, very friendly betta. (I've only had one other fish that friendly), my gs named the betta Thomas, he's into Thomas the tank engine.

Last night I had to break the news to my gs that his betta passed. I told him Thomas was now in heaven with Jesus. My gs was absolutely inconsolable. My daughter had to take him home, give him a bath and try to explain to him what just happened and why. All he kept saying was "why mom, why." He didn't sleep very well last night and is still sad this morning.

I'm so sad, we could have gotten a replacement fish, but he's smart and would have known right away. Next time I buy him a zebra or molly along with 5 or 6 of the same fish so he doesn't know which one is his.

:fish2:

I'm sorry ,that's terrible hope all gets better

Thanks for the condolences. I might ask my gs if he'd like a new fish.

However, I've been thinking of upgrading my tank from a 47 gallon bow front to a 55 gallon, put the fish that are currently in the 19 gallon tank into the 47 gallon and then putting the betta into the 19 gallon should I decide to get a new betta.

I need to think about that for awhile.

It's good to learn this at a young age. These things happen, and you have to deal with them. If he is into the hobby when he grows up, he will experience a lot of this.

Just as a follow up, I lost one of my platties and let my grandson see the fish as I was pulling him out of the tank. He asked me why the fish died and I told him that fish don't live as long as people.

He seemed to understand that, hopefully he will be okay now.

Back
Top Bottom