Bettababe's 10 Gallon Betta Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, I've decided that I'm definitely doing the ghost shrimp and an apple snail. I prefer the looks of apple snails, and if I need to move the snail because of the Betta, I have another tank I can put it in. So, how many ghost shrimp should I get? And I want to get some harlequin rasboras if I can find them close enough. Should I get 5 or 6 of those? I like having my schools at at least 6, but would that be too many for a ten gallon?

Bettababe1011 said:
So, I've decided that I'm definitely doing the ghost shrimp and an apple snail. I prefer the looks of apple snails, and if I need to move the snail because of the Betta, I have another tank I can put it in. So, how many ghost shrimp should I get? And I want to get some harlequin rasboras if I can find them close enough. Should I get 5 or 6 of those? I like having my schools at at least 6, but would that be too many for a ten gallon?

"Iowa Pet food and seascapes", "Adams aquatics", and "aqualand pets plus" have harlequin rasboras. I used quotes to avoid confusion of the names. LOL. I would get 10-20 ghost shrimp.

Bettababe1011 said:

Add as many ghost shrimp as your heart desires! I'd do 6 for the tank, they'll have plenty of room:). Can't wait to see!!!!

Fishandmusic81 said:
I got 10 in mines :)
I think I got lucky and got 2 Japanese algae eaters but I'm not sure one seems to Neva but large for a ghost shrimp :)

Correction their Amano shrimp idk where I got Japanese algae eater I think that's what petco calls them lol

I think I'll try seven ghost shrimp. And I really like Adam's Aquatics. I'll have to go there. We don't go there much because it's an hour away. Got another light bulb and ammonia today! And the ammonia is from Ace hardware, and has no surfactants. It does not foam when shaken. So I hope it's the right kind! Lol

Bettababe1011 said:
I think I'll try seven ghost shrimp. And I really like Adam's Aquatics. I'll have to go there. We don't go there much because it's an hour away. Got another light bulb and ammonia today! And the ammonia is from Ace hardware, and has no surfactants. It does not foam when shaken. So I hope it's the right kind! Lol

They have red cherry shrimp there too

Do you know about what they run for? I don't want them to be expensive snacks for the future Betta. Hmm, and how does this stocking sound?

5 or 6 Harlequin Rasboras
7 ghost shrimp (or RCS)
1 apple snail
1 Betta

Is that too much for a ten gallon, or okay?

Bettababe1011 said:
Do you know about what they run for? I don't want them to be expensive snacks for the future Betta. Hmm, and how does this stocking sound?

5 or 6 Harlequin Rasboras
7 ghost shrimp (or RCS)
1 apple snail
1 Betta

Is that too much for a ten gallon, or okay?

That stock is fine. I think they are like $5 each there, so you probably want to try ghost shrimp first to make sure the bettas doesn't eat them. That is the only place in the area to get RCS (trust me... Lol) so you might want to order online.

Ordering online probably isn't an option. I think I'll try the ghost shrimp first. Oh, I also bought some of those aponogeton bulbs from Walmart. I'm gonna see if I can get anything out of them... They were fairly cheap, so if they don't sprout it won't be a big deal.

So, the cycle has begun, and ammonia is dosed to about 4 ppm. I'll probably seed the tank with some gravel from my other tank.

So, the cycle has begun, and ammonia is dosed to about 4 ppm. I'll probably seed the tank with some gravel from my other tank.

Do you have aquaplanner on your ipod? I recommend getting it because you enter water parameters whenever you test, and it makes a line graph of different amounts and levels of chemicals in the tank. It's pretty awesome, and might help you see when it is done cycling. It will definitely show the nitrite spike. Get it? LOL

Hi Betta! happy to see another build from you. :) i think your future betta will be quite happy in his new home. :)

I think I have that exact ornament that you have on the left side in one of my tanks. LOL

You could probably grow plants if you got better CFL bulbs for that hood. :)

Lol, cool! I'm really anxious to get the tank seeded, but I can't right now... My other tank is at my dad's, and I have to wait till next Tuesday until I can get any seed material from it.

Back
Top Bottom