Betta's do not like fiddler crabs!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rossmort

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok, so I make a little 5 gallon 1/2 land 1/2 water tank for some fiddler crabs. I couldn't get the crabs for a week or so after getting the tank ready so I threw a beta into the water side (crazy thing about that is that he kept jumping out into the sand everyonce and a while and then jumping back in). Anyways....I get the crabs, beta had time to get all territorial in the water side of the tank and he scares the crap out of the crabs. I just took the beta out of the tank in hopes of making him forget about his home so that when he gets put back in the tank he wont feel like the crabs are in his territory but the other way around. Think this will work or am I going to have to find a new home for the beta and get a little less aggressive fish. Thanks for everything!

Eek. With only 5 gallons, I wouldn't keep the beta in there. He may be territorial, but he might also get attacked when his guard's down. Generally, sounds like you don't have enough room for them all. I'd do the same with a 10 or 20 G and feel better. 2.5 gallons of water isn't much room for a betta and crabs.

Do you have a larger aquarium? Checking profile... no info. OK. Oh, BTW Happy Early Birthday!

Yeah, I never planned on putting a beta in there with them but it just kinda happened that way. I have never had a problem with my crabs killing fish. I have 2 in a 20 gallon at home and the most I have ever seen is one hitting a fish with its big claw. They seem to be too slow. I guess I picked the beta because it is 2.5 gallons and I since they like small places....Just didn't think they would be so crazy towards inverts! I thought they were more into flowing fins when they attacked stuff :D Anyways, I guess I will try putting the beta back in and see how it goes. Might have to get another tank for him :-( Not much room but oh well.

rossmort said:
I guess I picked the beta because it is 2.5 gallons and I since they like small places....

They don't "like" small places. They can survive in small places but Bettas enjoy lots of space just like other fish. The less space offered the more territorial the Betta will be generally speaking. Good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom