Bichir for a 29 gln? Advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey, I havne't been on in a while, but I know this is always a place to go to for good advice, so..

I have a 29 gallon tank with 3 guppies, 3 platys, and six mollies as well as 2 gold barbs and 2 black skirt tetras (had six of each, but they've all died off over the past four years but these) I've been letting the fish give birth in the tank and pulling fry out when I see them; I've got five or so fry in the breeding net at present.

I also have 2 (cycled) five gallon tanks, one cycled ten gallon tank, and two more ten gallon tanks uncycled. (but I have that stuff that's supposed to instantly cycle them)

Ok. SO my idea is to distribute all the fish I have over the other five tanks. And start with something completely new in the 29 gallon.

I saw a senegal bichir at the pet store today. I fell in love with it. The more I read up on this fish, the more I want it. The guy at the store said it would be fine in a 29 gallon tank.

Well....I REALLY want one..but I've been reading a lot, and I am starting to have doubts that one of these would actually be ok in my 29 gallon.

So tell me the truth? Can it be done, or do I have to give up the idea?

If it can't be done, does anyone have any suggestions of someting I CAN do that is very different from the tetras and livebearers? Some cichlids of some kind? How about a parrot cichlid? I think those are cool, and the store owner said they aren't too difficult. Or is there anything that is like a bichir, you know, a predatory, kind of big fish, that might be a better fit?

Looking for any ideas here.

Not sure about the bichir, but what is the "stuff" that is supposed to instantly cycle? I think the only stuff that actually works is biospira.

While the Senegal is the smallest Bichir (Polypterus) you would have roughly a year until it outgrows a 29Gallon tank. They don't have an overly large body (other than length) but they really like to be able to swim across a tank and a 10-12" fish doesn't have very far to go before it hits the sides in a 30" long x 12" wide tank.

If you do get one, they love to hide in plants when sneaking up on prey. One of these would also be a great way to control livebearer population problems.

Any of the dwarf cichlids would be fine and you wouldn't have to move your community fish around to accomodate them (unless you get a mated pair). You can get away with an Angelfish in a 29G (along with a few other companions...but once again, don't try to do a mated pair of Angelfish if you plan to have other fish in the tank).

If you have plants a male red-tailed shark and a group of tiger barbs makes for a lively semi-aggressive tank with the red-tail as the center piece fish (they will cruise across the entire tank once established if there are plenty of hiding places and some plants for them to graze algae off of). I say a male because it should stay shy of 6" and will be a deeper black at full size than the females (which get bigger and have more grayish tones as they get older - kind of makes them look more dull). Throw in a semi-aggressive small loach like a yo-yo or skunk and you have the bottom filled out as well (skunks/suns and other similar loaches may hide often but they will be out during feeding time in my experiences).

Back
Top Bottom