Big Fish for 36 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. Pleco

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, there. I am looking for a fish to occupy my 36 gallon bowfront tank. I am aiming for one large fish or a four or five medium sized fish. The larger possible the better. I had previously seen fish such as the tiger oscar but needed a double check that I wouldn't have to move it to a larger tank. I can't have anything that will grow out of the 36 gallon. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give you a good amount of information.:thanks:

If you don't have other fish, a single angelfish with a pair of pearl gouramis would be nice.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

A 36 gal is to small for what's classed as large fish

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I would do 2 angelfish and a pair of bolivian rams or german blues. The rams aren't big but they are great fish!!!

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

convict cichlid get about 4-5 inch, just try to get all males or all females dont mix unless u want fry and aggression. They get good coloring as they get bigger, blue and purple hints on a black and white frame. Or they have Pink ones but they dont get as big.

Last edited by a moderator:
convict cichlid get about 4-5 inch, just try to get all males or all females dont mix unless u want fry and aggression. They get good coloring as they get bigger, blue and purple hints on a black and white frame. Or they have Pink ones but they dont get as big

I took a vid for ya. the "BigGuy" is about how big convicts get and hopefull u can see the coloring. http://youtu.be/PvzByFg0yxM

Can convicts go in a tank with angelfish? ??

Sent from my SM-N900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've never tried that i dont care for anglefish really, but i would guess if the Angles are bigger or both are bought at the same time yes. My experience with convicts, I've only noticed them get aggressive if they are the first in and u try to add fish later and if you have a male and a female, the male will get aggressive to show off for the lady.

Ps. if u get convicts get a night light for the other fish, convicts hunt at night. When I first got into them i had alot of night murders of golds and guppies. Trial and error helped me figure they were taking advantage of the dark, even tho i would feed just before lights out

Convicts given their size are some mean little fish they can be highly territorial and aggressive towards other fish.....from my experience with them they aren't worth the risk of putting them with other fish cause of how temperamental they can be

Back
Top Bottom