Bill's 12 Long - A Rimless Iwagumi Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was thinking the same thing about the semi-cycle. Especially with those Neons, can be a bit testy at times :)

Yeah I know, I know... Dang me and all my sensitive stock.... I'll do what I can to keep it stable. Everyone seems fine as of today. Nice and active, even the shrimp have been out and about.

Awesome!! And what was the name of the background you got? I guess just going and buying it would be easier than having you ship it to me :)

Just saw this comment! Sorry I didn't reply earlier! There is a picture of the packaging on page 2 of this thread. It's called artscape etched glass window film. You can find it near the window blinds in Home Depot. I believe I saw it on amazon, as well.

Small Update - 7 Days Since Planted

Just a few things to report. My cycle is coming along quickly. Ammonia has already spiked and gone, so just waiting for nitrites to go down so I can start focusing on getting nitrates where they need to be.

To be honest, with the ray 2, aqua soil, pps pro, and pressurized co2, I was expecting some faster growth. Don't get me wrong, the HC IS growing. I was just expecting a little more. I guess it could still be establishing itself under my tanks conditions, and it HAS only been a week. All fauna is still doing well, except one neon, whom I found took the leap of faith last night... Poor fish was all dried up next o the tank. I decided to take a drive to the LFS today in search of some Blyxa or DHG, but no dice on that... I might order some up when I get a chance. Unless anyone has any leads on any here... :brows:

I'm still waiting on the lily pipes to arrive. I'm getting very anxious! Can't wait to get those ugly Fluval parts out of this tank! Oh and I ordered one of those really cool beetle spiro bubble counters from eBay... annnnnd it fell over while I was heating the co2 tubing in the sink and broke... :( Good thing it was only 15 bucks instead of the 185 ADA charges for one... Here is some new pictures that I took with my wife's point n shoot digital camera. Not great quality, but better than iPhone pics!

Attachments

• DSC03884.jpg
    DSC03884.jpg
    186.2 KB · Views: 167
  • DSC03882.jpg
    DSC03882.jpg
    198.7 KB · Views: 168
  • DSC03883.jpg
    DSC03883.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC03879.jpg
    DSC03879.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 177
It's looking awesome man! I really want to get mine started but have been so busy lately...hopefully I can get something happening this week! I'm jealous already ;)

Thanks Dan! I've been wondering when you were gonna start yours! I can't wait to see it!

Not much has been going on with my subscribed threads lately, so I thought I'd put out a small update. :)

Thanks Dan! I've been wondering when you were gonna start yours! I can't wait to see it!

Not much has been going on with my subscribed threads lately, so I thought I'd put out a small update. :)

Yeah the little 6g has just been sitting down beside the 60g....I need to start it it's annoying me lol. Yeah I know lol my 6g thread has been buried in te forum lol I will have to find it :lol:

I think the HC will start taking off, just give it some time to acclimate to the new conditions. Mine started growing fast when the co2 and ferts were optimal, and that's with my Ray2 suspended. Yours is directly on top, so your lighting would be more intense than mine. Just don't push the lighting too much in hopes to increase HC growth as i think you'll exacerbate an algae growth instead.

Anyway, your tank is looking great!

I think the HC will start taking off, just give it some time to acclimate to the new conditions. Mine started growing fast when the co2 and ferts were optimal, and that's with my Ray2 suspended. Yours is directly on top, so your lighting would be more intense than mine. Just don't push the lighting too much in hopes to increase HC growth as i think you'll exacerbate an algae growth instead.

Anyway, your tank is looking great!

Thanks Brian. My photoperiod has been 7 hours. I might bring it down to 6 just to be safe, but no signs of algae as of yet. Knock on wood!

Also, since I went with the DIY paintball co2, I've just been leaving it on at night. I'm not sure if that will cause any problems, but I figure if I kept the co2 concentration up at all times, less of a chance of algae? I dunno. Are you going to mix your phosphates separately soon? I'm wanting to do that, as I can't get a reading for any yet. I suppose I can also add a little extra to my macro mix for now and see how that goes.

I think leaving your co2 on 24/7 is fine. You'll just burn through the tanks faster. Also make sure you're not nuking your inhabitants because lack of surface agitation can cause the co2 to accumulate in the water. Are you planning in adding a circulation pump? I think that's one of the issues of these 12L's, its the deadspot that can develop on the opposite end of the filter.

Anyways, I'm planning to increase the iron and phosphates in my tanks with red plants soon. I've just been lazy and haven't gotten around to it yet. Why would you need to increase phosphates? All your plants are green in the 12L.

I think leaving your co2 on 24/7 is fine. You'll just burn through the tanks faster. Also make sure you're not nuking your inhabitants because lack of surface agitation can cause the co2 to accumulate in the water. Are you planning in adding a circulation pump? I think that's one of the issues of these 12L's, its the deadspot that can develop on the opposite end of the filter.

Anyways, I'm planning to increase the iron and phosphates in my tanks with red plants soon. I've just been lazy and haven't gotten around to it yet. Why would you need to increase phosphates? All your plants are green in the 12L.

I've been keeping an eye on the drop checker, it never goes yellow. Everyone seems fine. The 106 seems to be providing enough flow, when the tank was a bit cloudy after initial fill up, I could see there was decent flow all the way through. As far as the phosphates, I just don't want to run in to a battle with GSA again like I did in the 10g. I've heard it's caused by low phosphates. I'm trying to get my params in that target area, ya know?

Update - Approximately two weeks since planted

Well, as of today, the tank is cycled. I tested this morning, and to my surprise nitrites were .25. Just tested now, and and they are down to 0. I'll keep doing water changes to get nitrates down. This morning they were around 40ppm. Sadly, I lost a few otos during the cycle, but that was my mistake. I should've known they were too sensitive...

I'm still looking for a background plant. Something that I can keep short and bushy. I'm staying away from blyxa for now, as it seems a little too typical in a setup like this, but I can't think of anything that would look as good! Suggestions are welcome guys. :)

Also, it's almost time to order shrimp. Anyone think I could make CRS work? The only thing I can't test yet is TDS, but I think my KH and GH are good. I may just stick with RCS... Not sure yet.

Here's a pic showing two weeks worth of growth.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 209
Awesome Bill!! Can I get an eye level tank shot please lol? It looks soooo good. I would start with the RCS or something, just so if anything goes wrong and causes some to die, it wouldnt be CRS and you can get the hang of it before you get the expensive things lol. i have some news on my 6g..will go post that now lol I will have to dig in this forum to find the thread! :lol: but I am def. jealous :D

Back
Top Bottom