Black Ghost Knife Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

josh7

Aquarium Advice Addict
1. Can a BGK live in a 75 gallon with a tiger Oscar and 4 silver dollars?

2. Are these fish very shy and do they become active during the day at all?

3. What types of food are best for them?

4. Is 2 weeks enough time for it to be alone In the tank to acclimate and learn where to find food before adding new fish?

If the Oscar can eat it, it will.... If it fits in his mouth I had a 7inch Oscar and a 6inch bgk in a 125g the Oscar would hassle him all the time. Not good tank mates IMO.

75g would be fine for a bgk though.

They eat almost anything pellets,Brine shrimp, blood worms, and the love raw shrimp which I give once a week.

Mine aren't very active during the day but they can get used to coming out if you feed them in the mornings.

It's best to give them a tube to hide out in till they feel comfortable to come out.

My BGK is very timid and non-confrontational. He usually hides in plants and doesn't even get near the discus or angelfish in the tank. I couldn't imagine keeping one with an O or another large cichlid.

1. Can a BGK live in a 75 gallon with a tiger Oscar and 4 silver dollars?

2. Are these fish very shy and do they become active during the day at all?

3. What types of food are best for them?

4. Is 2 weeks enough time for it to be alone In the tank to acclimate and learn where to find food before adding new fish?

Silver Dollars - Yes
Oscar - No

2. Generally nocturnal, however mine is normally out and about from late afternoon, always waiting patiently for his blood worms.

3. I feed mine a mix of blood worms and brine shrimp.

4. Your ghost knife won't really care about the Dollars at all so I'd think two weeks should be fine.

I dont think I wil be getting a ghost knife then because I like the O better. Is there any type of other interesting bottom feeder for this tank setup I was thinking a Senegal bichir.

Back
Top Bottom