Black Moor Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, I have the new tank, and a sprung for the new stand. So what should I do now? I am going to order the filter from Amazon this evening. Should I begin transferring his things?

Ok, I have the new tank, and a sprung for the new stand. So what should I do now? I am going to order the filter from Amazon this evening. Should I begin transferring his things?

Wait til you have everything you need for this tank. What size tank did you wind up buying?

I just ordered this.
Marine Land 350GPH

I will be using the gravel from his 10 gallon tank mostly, although I do have a little more left over from setting up that tank that I will use as well. Other than that everything will be from his current tank.

Ok! Once you have everything you need, fill the new tank with temp-matched water to your small tank. Dont forget the water conditioner! Place your guy in a bucket of tank water so you can transfer everything to the new tank. I would run the filters side by side for a couple of weeks to help seed the new filter or you can just move the media from the small filter into the new filter. Either will work. Once everything is moved over & running, add your little guy. For moving goldies around, i use an open-mouthed pitcher ($1 at dollar store) to prevent any fin damage & to make things the least stressful as possible. Nets are very damaging to their fins & they thrash & can further injure themselves. I would continue with the salt (1 flat tablespn per 10gal) at a low dose for atleast another week (possibly 2wks depending on how he is doing). Lets get him healthy & settled before you consider an addition. Keep us posted on your progress!!! :)

That sounds great! Thankyou!

I currently use a pyrex measuring cup to move him back and forth. I thought the nets looked painful myself.

I will continue with the salt. I am glad you said that, I need to go out and buy more sea salt tomorrow, or some other kind of non-iodized salt.

I am very excited!!!

Make sure the salt you use has no additives such as anti-caking agents (even sea salt can have these!). Kosher salt or canning salt i believe are free of these additives but double check the ingredients. Or use aquarium salt (runs $4). Look forward to seeing your new tank! :)

My new filter should be here Thursday!

Manny looks much better. His tummy is nearly healed. I just recieved the medicated food today, and I fed him a little bit. He seems to like it.

I thought that my small tank had cycled, but I don't think that it has.

The anticipation of getting everything moved over is killing me!

Oh, and on a crappy note, I just spilled my whole big bottle of Prime, so now I have to buy more....... I suck! lol

Manny is in his new tank now. Everything seems to be going well. He has been in since Wednesday. I am going to be doing a water change today because I noticed some ammonia level in his new tank.

I put all of his old filter media in the back of his new filter, hoping that cycling would happen quickly. How long would you guys estimate cycling to take in his new set-up?

I have one more question.

Do Oranda's and Black Moor Goldfish get along ok?

I am not going to get one for at least a month until Manny is completely settled, but I have been "window" shopping.

Keep an eye on your numbers until your tank stabilizes. Because your smaller tank was not fully cycled, this one with the old media wont be either. Just stay on top of your water changes to keep him healthy. An oranda should be fine with him- just wait until your tank is stable & Manny is fully healed up. When you do add a new goldie, make sure you are monitoring your water parameters for wk or 2 after because there will be an increase in the bioload & your bacteria will have to adjust- you may see a spike in amm/nitrite temporarily. Good luck! :)

My husband set me up with a hose type of thing so that I can refill my fish tank up more easily. Since I am directly filling the tank I am not sure when to add the Prime. Should I add it after I fill the tank before I turn back on the filter? Or before I refill the tank?

Back
Top Bottom